The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Control Panel ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jameshsi, Aug 11, 2003.

1. jameshsi

jameshsi Well-Known Member

Hi! Guys:
    When will cpanel have a cpanel/WHM for windows server ?

Is there anyone using any control panel software except Ensim ? I only knows Ensim, but I think it is far away from cpanel in functions/features.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. bmcclure

bmcclure Well-Known Member

We all would have a stroke and possibly die from the shock if CPanel actually came out for Windows. The percentage has been almost the same for months, I think years even on the front-page.

We're using Ensim for our Windows boxes, and I have to say, wow, they over-complicate everything and leave out basic features.

For example: You can't create more than 1 FTP account anymore for an account... you can have 1 MySQL database, any extras must be given specifically by the server admin... I submitted a ticket and it took weeks to finally complete and they weren't even that big of a help. Now our support ran out and we're stuck ... We paid a lot of money for the software for Server 2003 and now we don't even have support anymore.

When I email CPanel support, I always get a fast, friendly response above and beyond what's required. I hope they get a Windows version out soon. I don't care how complicated it is, I'm switching from Ensim to Cpanel...

Hear our cries bdraco! Help us! :)

3. jameshsi

Hi! bmcclure:
    Thanks, I think everybody here hopes cpanel windows came out soon. I just found a new windows based control panel: "HELM" from webhostautomation.com , maybe you should check it out.

i havn't decide my server will go with ENSIM or HELM, anyone recommand ?

4. scapeweb

scapeweb Well-Known Member

I just got a helm and are having some problems with it. I am wondering when will cpanel come out with a windows version. They have had the 81% thing going on for a while now.:(

5. bmcclure

Nobody knows except *possibly* Nick :D

Today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, July 7th 2024, who knows.

6. rumonet

rumonet Member

7. bmcclure

They need to accelerate their website! I've been waiting for it to display for like 2 minutes so far ... no errors, no page ... over a DSL...

8. madyz

madyz Registered

how long has been to 81% ? :(

9. mikerayner

mikerayner Well-Known Member

We were using hosting controler for 1.5 years, the real problem is Windows, we had 15 windows based servers and got 48 hacks which caused total reinstallation!

heh forget the windows not good even for using as web server

if you are bound to windows because of ASP, SQL and Frontpage you are wrong you can easily use ASP by chilisoft and MySQL, or Postgre SQL or.. in Linux

everything has a Linux solution

Windows is a disease a cancer for servers,

don't think because windows is your desktop solution you have to use it for your server too,

10. bmcclure

Everything has a Linux solution, whether it's better or not is questionable.

If possible, I say hell yeah, go with PHP/MySQL or use Chilisoft ASP.

What if you have an application in .NET? Will Chilisoft EVER support .NET? Probably not...

What if you NEED MSSQL? Many commercial applications are written for MSSQL, not MySQL.

Yes, Linux is better, but I would never tell a customer that Windows sucks and Linux is his better option. If he wants or needs Windows, he can have it. We need to provide for the wants and needs of oru customers, not the ease-of-administration desire for ourselves.

11. bmcclure

And it's been at 81% for a very long time ... I think it's barely moved in like, what, a year?

12. scapeweb

scapeweb Well-Known Member

Special notice about cPanel for Windows: cPanel for Windows is currently in development. We do not at this time have dates set for beta testing or release. When these dates become available, we will post them here.

--- this is located in there front page---

When did they put this up? :)

I am using helm right now for windows and I honestly think it's a bit confusing.

I would rather use Cpanel for windows.

13. jameshsi

I think cpanel tell us "hey, if you want windows control panel, go somewhere else"

also, I have try helm in my local machine, they confuse me too.
    I still wish cpanel can have windows solution, but, before that date is set, I think we all need to find a solution.

14. mikerayner

Every new newbie knows that Microsoft wants to capture the server side IT business too, but they fail, why? because they advertise their servers then use Akamai Linux as a fronted system so you are in contact with Linux and Akamai interprets packets and obtains information from IIS server, funny of course, advertising Microsoft Servers then Using Akamai Linux, also they work to destroy open source industry on trials (refer to SCO trial against open source -IBM-)

but technically open source environment has been tested by a large number of professional and is open source then the code is available to everyone it means after passing a period then open source will be the only safe way for networking due to security refer to google and search open source security and read several articles about why open source industry is more secure than a corporation based proprietorship

As I know there are not so many Internet servers based on Windows refer to surveys by netcraft and others

Also newbies who think they know everything about computer have interest in windows because this is the only world that they know about it due to their workstation or home PCs unfortunately Microsoft abuses them by offering insecure servers too. It's not necessary to use Windows at server side because you are using windows at your office or home.

Also .NET is another trap from Microsoft and its policies
    about MSSQL I have to say that it doesn't offer as much as MySQL or postgre SQL, use alternative softwares that use i.e MySQL (more affordable more secure)
    there is no core network based on Windows

ASK MODERATOR TO EVALUATE WHAT I WROTE, MAY BE MICROSOFT SUES CPANEL JUST BECAUSE OF THESE WRITINGS

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: :D

#14 mikerayner, Sep 23, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2003
  15. jameshsi

Re: :)

OK, rumonet, can you tell us :
    1. Can you do auto sign-up using this hostingaccelerator ?
    I mean , can u write a scripts to communicate their script to create accounts automatically ?

2. Can you change the characters to non-english ?

16. jameshsi

I 100% agree with you!!
    I think if you call your self as a hosting company and you must know you are running "service" business, you need to provide whatever your clients think it is good.
    Some users only knows ASP and MS Access, you can't tell him , "please use php + MySQL, it's better ", and you won't be happy to transfer his scripts to php, so, basically we just need a solution for windows for those who needs it, and charge them higher, and tell them if they switch to Linux, they will get better and more safty....

But, don't say Linux is better in the beginning, no one can actually take your words into his mind, they just feel you are a greek or freak.

I just found another windows solution: hostingcontroller.com

17. mikerayner

Jameshi,

We were using hosting controller, please read our experience in this thread about it on page 1

about your policy that customers are first, we decided not to offer windows anymore then offered one year free linux service to our windows customers and we had just 3 customers who left our company also 1 of them returned after 2 months and we just got 2 lost customers

It is exactly the point that hosting is a service business you have to offer what that you can count on it or you will loose customers because of what you haven't any control on it like windows as we were loosing during windows offering solutions

#17 mikerayner, Sep 23, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2003
  18. jameshsi

So you are using them for so long and so many servers ?
    Can you talk about that more ?
    How their support ?
    How the control panel in features ?

19. jameshsi

I think your strtegy is very good for your existing clients in your windows machines, but how about the protential customers that browsing at your site ? If they found no windows solution, they just turn away from your site to others, then, I will feel we are waste our advertisement effort, don't u think ?

20. mikerayner

> So you are using them for so long and so many servers ?

15 servers for 18 months

> How the control panel in features ?
    sucks when it's compared to cpanel but better than any other windows control panel

about the strategy, don't write Linux solution at first, we are offering hosting package put windows solution link and redirect them to a breif and detail articles about Linux over windows servers

search google and read about linux vs. windows then you will find out there are not a lot of potential customers based on windows

but I have to confess so many people i.e in Asia are windows fans

anyway if you try to offer windows then the price will be more expensive than linux packages so many customers compare prices not the OS

please be advised Verio is one of the largest hosting company with 500,000 customers but doesn't offer lowest price of course, this is why there is not a single solution or strategy out there for the public

#20 mikerayner, Sep 23, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2003