Nirjonadda

May 8, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We have a server Without boot partition. Does Boot partitions are not necessary. Since it’s the same drive, the data will be saved on the same drive. It’s not required to have a boot part? Please let me know that Do we face any issue in future without /boot partition?

ScreenShot00066.png

PenguinInternet

PartnerNOC
Jun 20, 2007
Cardiff, UK
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
It's not strictly necessary to have a separate boot partition - if you're not using RAID or LVM then it makes no difference operationally, although potentially it gives you some extra flexibility in the event of a corrupt partition or file system. Nothing to worry about though as you are currently configured.

Nirjonadda

May 8, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It's not strictly necessary to have a separate boot partition - if you're not using RAID or LVM then it makes no difference operationally, although potentially it gives you some extra flexibility in the event of a corrupt partition or file system. Nothing to worry about though as you are currently configured.
Yes I am using Hardware RAID. So /boot partition are not Recommended? As I know A /boot partition Recommended Partitioning Scheme.

cPWilliamL

cP Technical Analyst II
Staff member
May 15, 2017
America
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi @Nirjonadda,

The Arch wiki has some nice information on raids:
RAID - ArchWiki
RAID 1
The most straightforward RAID level: straight mirroring. As with other RAID levels, it only makes sense if the partitions are on different physical disk drives. If one of those drives fails, the block device provided by the RAID array will continue to function as normal. The example will be using RAID 1 for everything except swap and temporary data. Please note that with a software implementation, the RAID 1 level is the only option for the boot partition, because bootloaders reading the boot partition do not understand RAID, but a RAID 1 component partition can be read as a normal partition. The size of a RAID 1 array block device is the size of the smallest component partition.
So if you're using RAID1, then a single '/' partition may be possible, but I would certainly opt for a separate partition.