Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Without boot partition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nirjonadda, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Nirjonadda

Nirjonadda Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We have a server Without boot partition. Does Boot partitions are not necessary. Since it’s the same drive, the data will be saved on the same drive. It’s not required to have a boot part? Please let me know that Do we face any issue in future without /boot partition?

ScreenShot00066.png

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PenguinInternet

PenguinInternet Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    It's not strictly necessary to have a separate boot partition - if you're not using RAID or LVM then it makes no difference operationally, although potentially it gives you some extra flexibility in the event of a corrupt partition or file system. Nothing to worry about though as you are currently configured.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nirjonadda

Nirjonadda Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes I am using Hardware RAID. So /boot partition are not Recommended? As I know A /boot partition Recommended Partitioning Scheme.

4. cPWilliamL

cPWilliamL cP Technical Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @Nirjonadda,

The Arch wiki has some nice information on raids:
    RAID - ArchWiki
    So if you're using RAID1, then a single '/' partition may be possible, but I would certainly opt for a separate partition.