The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMH and CPanel Locked

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PCZero, Dec 28, 2009.

1. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

I just did an upgrade on cpanel going from release to stable. When the upgrade was done I was forced to log back into WHM. When I did this I got the account locked from brute force attempt error. I am not getting when I try to log into WHM as root or into Cpanel under any of the accounts. Waiting 10 minutes did nothing but return the same error. Rebooting the server did not help. What the hell is going on and how do I fix it?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might like to check out the Docs for BFP located here:
    Use cPHulk for Brute Force Protection

3. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Looks like the cPHulk was the issue. I thought that had been on all along and not causing an issue. Perhaps it had something to do with some settings being out of synch when I went from the release to the stable version of whm/cpanel while the stable version was one version older.

4. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

OK here is a bit more on what happened...

Historically I run the Release verison of WHM/cPanel. Recently I ran the manual upgrade to cPanel 11.25.0-R42399 - WHM 11.25.0 - X 3.9. After that update I got a lot of warning and errors messages especially about tokens, sessions, and related issues. After struggling with this for two days, I set my update preferences to the Stable version and ran the manual update again. This set me back to a previous version of WHM/cPanel. After this 2nd update I started having the issues in the original post.

After looking into things further it appears that somehow the 1st update had some issues and it did not execute fully. I set things back to the Release version, ran another manual update, and all the issues releated to this thread are gone.

I do have a new issue now, see my newer post about queueprocd.