The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WOOHOO IMAP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by awsol, Aug 7, 2002.

1. awsol

awsol cPanel Test Bitch

Guess what people. You will never guess. Ok fine I'll tell ya. IMAP is supported in cPanel now. Everything remains the same the only change you need to make is in outlook express choose IMAP from the server type. It's simple and works excellent. Nick is still doing some tweak. Get using it people and submit bugs if you see them. woohoo

2. jimcarter

jimcarter Well-Known Member

nice one, woohoo! also :)

3. awsol

awsol cPanel Test Bitch

There was a small problem with it not letting you create folders. This is now resolved. Update now people.

4. jimcarter

jimcarter Well-Known Member

just thought I would let you know that I cant delete any folders I create, it comes back with an error message from the server:
    DELETE FAILED: mailbox support still in use by another process
    thanks

5. bert

bert Well-Known Member

I hate to break your happiness, but the idea of add on like this is too scary for me. I wish I could leave the servers alone without updating them. =)

6. cass

cass Well-Known Member

So... imap .... hrm.... then?
    what's the sooo good about it ?
    I so so new on this ...
    but, what is the good thing about imap?
    can anyone explain the pro/cons ?
    (I think in imap messages & folders are kept on server right? ... maybe good for a webmail portal or something... but for normal hosting??)

Regards. :)

7. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

Yeah. Maybe it will work. I hope so. We get a few customers who request this feature.

8. jsnape

jsnape Well-Known Member

Finally!

I'm sending out the newsletter right now! IMAP is here, lets everybody update the control panel. :)

Just kidding

But congatulations on adding it. I'll just hang back a little while and watch this unfold.

9. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

I am on build 51 and can't seem to check mail via IMAP. How can I tell if imap is actually running on my server. I have tried connecting via a standard imap port of 143, but that port is not open.

10. Craig

Craig Well-Known Member

Great job nick and the cpanel team!

keep up the good work

Craig.

11. Omar

Omar Well-Known Member

Ok, so does anyone have an explanation of what IMAP does that POP3/SMTP doesn't?

Thanks
    - Omar

12. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:ee521d8ee1][i:ee521d8ee1]Originally posted by Omar[/i:ee521d8ee1]

Ok, so does anyone have an explanation of what IMAP does that POP3/SMTP doesn't?

Thanks
    - Omar[/quote:ee521d8ee1]
    [b:ee521d8ee1] IMAP vs. POP3 ? [/b:ee521d8ee1]

[b:ee521d8ee1]What is IMAP?[/b:ee521d8ee1]
    Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) is a standard protocol for accessing e-mail from your local computer. IMAP is a client/server protocol in which e-mail is received and held for you on the servers. You (by using your e-mail client, such as Outlook Express, Netscape Messenger or Eudora) can view just the header information, which includes the sender and subject of the letter, allowing you to decide whether to download the message or not. You can also create and manipulate folders or mailboxes on the server, delete messages, or search for certain parts or an entire note.

[b:ee521d8ee1]What is POP3? [/b:ee521d8ee1]
    Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) is also a standard protocol for receiving e-mail and is also a client/server protocol in which e-mail is received and held for you on the servers. With POP3, your mail is saved in a mailbox on the remote server until you check your mail. When you check your mail, all of the mail is immediately downloaded to your computer and is no longer maintained on the server.

[b:ee521d8ee1] What’s the Difference? [/b:ee521d8ee1]
    IMAP can be thought of as a remote file server, while POP3 can be thought of as a &store-and-forward& service. Ultimately they both accomplish similar tasks but often one will suit your needs better than the other.

[b:ee521d8ee1]What are the Benefits of IMAP? [/b:ee521d8ee1]
    Since you can view just the header information without downloading the entire message, you can delete large messages without wasting time for downloading them. Also, because the messages remain on the server, you can access your mail from multiple locations and ensure that your messages are always available for you. And, with the messages remaining on the servers if your computer crashes you don’t have to worry about losing your messages.

[b:ee521d8ee1]What are the Benefits of POP3? [/b:ee521d8ee1]
    Since all of your messages are downloaded immediately, after you check your mail at your computer, you do not need to actually be connected to the Internet to read your email. Also, because the messages are downloaded to your computer you do not need to worry about accruing disk usage charges because the messages do not stay on the servers.

[b:ee521d8ee1]What are the Drawbacks to IMAP? [/b:ee521d8ee1]
    Unlike POP3, IMAP requires continual access to the server during the time that you are working with your mail. Also, because the messages are stored on the server, it becomes much easier to go over your disk quota. However, you can reduce this risk by taking specific steps to not leave your Sent Mail, Drafts or Trash on the server. And like any new service, there is a slight learning curve to get used to IMAP since most people are used to using POP3.

[b:ee521d8ee1]What are the Drawbacks to POP3? [/b:ee521d8ee1]
    The major drawback to POP3 is that it is an older protocol that was designed before people were able to easily send large emails with attachments. Because POP3 downloads all the mail on the server at once, people are occasionally unable to successfully receive their messages because POP3 will get stuck or disconnect when trying to download large messages. To fix this people will either need to contact tech support or log onto our web mail system to delete the large messages themselves. Also, if you use POP3 and are traveling or check your mail from multiple locations, you will not be able to view any of your old mail because the messages only exist on the computer on which you originally received your mail.

13. Omar

Omar Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for that :)

14. cass

cass Well-Known Member

very good explanaition :)

so... I will think how to implement a freemail service now ... or something of this. (I have a small portal that I'm doing)
    anyone have done this on a cpanel server?
    I mean... having a cpanel account for the portal... and some script creating/deleting/modifing imap accounts (dunno... some of the classic webmail programs)

Thanks.

15. AlaskanWolf

AlaskanWolf Well-Known Member

i cant get it it work, anything special i need to do? It cant connect to my server (OLE)

16. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

[quote:e65b4268cc][i:e65b4268cc]Originally posted by AlaskanWolf[/i:e65b4268cc]

i cant get it it work, anything special i need to do? It cant connect to my server (OLE)[/quote:e65b4268cc]

I have the same problem. How do I tell if this is running? I am on build 52.

17. bert

bert Well-Known Member

That is what I said, just wait a few weeks until they sort all the bugs :p

18. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

[quote:37473c6a33][i:37473c6a33]Originally posted by bert[/i:37473c6a33]

That is what I said, just wait a few weeks until they sort all the bugs :p [/quote:37473c6a33]

Cute!! But I would still like some way to see if it is running.

19. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:5459e24388][i:5459e24388]Originally posted by Marty[/i:5459e24388]

[quote:5459e24388][i:5459e24388]Originally posted by AlaskanWolf[/i:5459e24388]

i cant get it it work, anything special i need to do? It cant connect to my server (OLE)[/quote:5459e24388]

I have the same problem. How do I tell if this is running? I am on build 52.[/quote:5459e24388]

What version of redhat are you running ?

20. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

I get &The conection to the server has failed&

and I ran /scripts/updatenow ; sleep 10 ; /scripts/convertemails