The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wordpress based site hanging.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phild, Jul 30, 2014.

1. phild

phild Member

I recently moved a word press driven site from one cpanel server to another using the back up facility. That went very well in so much as the same amount of data is on the new server along with databases, email addresses and so on.
    The problem is the site just hangs, it doesnt load at all. The wp-login is the same. It isnt a dns issue as other non wp parts of the site are fine. I have checked and repaired the database and that is fine. I have tried renaming .htaccess and all I got then was /index/.index.htm is not on the server. I have tried adding the define site coded to the config file as recommended elsewhere in these forums and no matter what I try the result is the same.
    Can anyone help?
    Many, many thanks in advance.

#1 phild, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: Word press based site hanging.

Hello :)

Have you tried reinstalling or upgrading the WordPress script? Do you notice any error messages in the Apache error log?

Thank you.

3. phild

phild Member

Hi,
    thanks for helping.
    I can't get into admin to upgrade and I dont want to totally reinstall unless I have to in case I lose data. As for the error log, it is over 150MB big and firefox crashes trying to open it.

4. kdean

kdean Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Any error_log files in the public_html/ or public_html/wp-admin/ folders?

Any recent plugin additions? A bad plugin can kill a site.

5. phild

phild Member

The following error is repeated, well, repeatedly:

Code:
    [30-Jul-2014 18:21:13 UTC] WordPress database error You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1 for query SELECT * from fb_promotions WHERE promo_id=   made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-load.php'), require_once('wp-config.php'), require_once('wp-settings.php'), include_once('/plugins/fbpromotions/fbpromotion.php'), Paypal->__construct
    Just so you know I only host this site so any questions regarding any previous changes etc I will need to email the site owner so that's why I may not immediately post on here.

Thanks again.

6. kdean

kdean Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Ok, first make sure your MySQL is up-to-date and not running a really old version.

Failing that, move the public_html/wp-content/plugins/fbpromotions folder to outside of the plugins folder. Temporarily placing it in the public_html/wp-content/ folder is fine. This effectively disables the plugin.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems that the fbpromotions plugin is very out-of-date and no longer listed in the wordpress plugin repository.

http://www.pluginmirror.com/plugins/fbpromotions/

- - - Updated - - -

Probably removed due to unpatched vulnerabilities.

http://www.globalsecuritymag.com/Vigil-nce-WordPress-fbpromotions,20140717,46420.html

7. phild

phild Member

Mysql is 5.5.37-cll

I will try your suggestion now.

Thank you for your time.

- - - Updated - - -

No, the site still isnt loading I'm afraid. although that error has gone so that will stop the log getting so big in future - so that's a positive.

8. kdean

kdean Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Can you post a link to the site or send via Private Message?

I suppose considering the age of the plugin that the rest of wordpress and it's plugins may be out-of-date. Do you know if it was kept up-to-date? The only other things I can think of are that the new server's MySQL and PHP are recent while an old install may not be prepared for that and is looking for old MySQL 4 and PHP 4 or something like that. Do you still have access to the old server and it's setup to compare your specs? If possible, upgrade wordpress in the old location first before moving it. Note that if it's a very old wordpress, upgrading may cause issues with the their theme template, etc. causing some things to not work as expected or it could go smooth.

Alternatively, you could download the latest version from WordPress › Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS and unzip it and upload everything but the wp-content folder to your new server folder. This will upgrade wordpress, but leave alone the site's custom files in wp-content. The first time you load the wordpress admin afterward will likely update it's database as well.... if you can then get into the site. If you can you'll likely see a bunch of plugin updates as well.

9. SS-Maddy

SS-Maddy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Hello
    As mentioned by the above post it may be a version compatibility issue. Compare your php and mysql versions and configurations with the old one. Also check whether the table is corrupted and repair it if required. In such cases ensure that a db dump is created. Please check if the issue persist after disabling the plugin "fbpromotions". In majority of the cases an upgrade of the plugin or modification of the custom code to be compatible with the upgraded versions should fix the issue.