The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wordpress blog & setting it up as the main domain

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by RLB, May 27, 2011.

1. RLB

RLB Member

Hi All,

I am a newbie and I have tried looking for answers to my question to no avail.

I very recently got my domain names, webhosting space etc etc. Deciding on how to make a website, I have opted for Wordpress since my idea is to have a blog that resembles a website and has an online community. So far so good, I have been toying with Wordpress and it is starting to look nice and as I would like it to be.

When I went to file manager, I saw that the blog (installed through Fantastico) was put as a root of public.html. So, if I typed on my browser my domain as in www.mydomain.com, I would get an error as there was nothing there. Reading around a bit, I decided to include in the code of the index.html a line saying that the website is under construction. Now, when I click on the aforementioned domain I get an "under construction" message (with a picture) as I desired. Again, all fine and dandy.

The problem comes when I now want the actual blog (which is almost finished) to be what it is "seen" (newbie term) when people click on www.mydomain.com. The only way to see the blog (which is what I want the website to be) is via typing mydomain.com/blog . I am concerned of modifying anything in the public.html, or file manager for that matter, thinking I would delete anything important. So my main, and other questions, are:

1) How can I have the Wordpress blog as the website itself (people click on www.mydomain.com and get the front page of the blog). Where do I put the blog folder in file directory? Do I modify the index.html file?

2) Since I have been heavily working on the blog, I had it public (seen by anyone when typing the url) but now I would like to have it hidden until it is finished. I went to the blog folder and changed permissions to 750. Is there any other better ways to be able to work on the blog and not have an unauthorised message cropping up when mydomain.com/blog is typed on a browser? The same case would apply for the future when I am working on, say, the forum. Shall I create a new folder somewhere outside public.html and throw the stuff there?

3) I have the header image for the WP log actually saved in the public.html file as I had no clue where to save it. If I type www.mydomain.com/header_image, I get the image. I would like this to not be accessible via typing the address on a browser so where could I put it in the file manager? For that matter, where can I put any images and files I want for the blog (or website/forum) so that they are only accessible by me through Cpanel?

4) I see the name .htaccess thrown around a lot in forums but I dont know what it exactly does and what is its purpose. I have read how to modify it and all that but still am clueless as to its purpose. Anyone can tell me?

5) Any good newbie tutorials regarding managing one's files in such a fashion? All I find is either installation tutorials or tutorials with a lot of technical words. I have been very busy trying to learn even more basic stuff and getting the WP blog to look somewhat decent and now have the time to learn the whoel modifying files on the file manager.

I would appreciate any input on this and/or recommended newbie reading material.

Many thanks

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You can move the wordpress site to root (public_html directory) if you like, but it was installed via Fantastico so you'll need to edit the Fantastico config file so that Fantastico knows whwere it is for upgrades.
    /home/username/.fantasticodata/WordPress/domainname.com|wordpress

In that file is a path to the wordpress install. Remove the /blog part from the path and save file. Everything in the /blog/ directory can be moved to the public_html directory.

When you do move it all, you would now have both an index.html and an index.php (the latter for the blog main page) You don't want this. Remove the index.html or simply rename it to index.old.html and that will disable that page from being used at yourdomain.com Your server looks for either one and will serve whichever is set to first in priority to be served.

I like to create a directory outside public_html for working in. Say I want to upload a zip file of images, I'd upload it there then unpack via cPanel File Manager, and then I can move them from there to anywhere else inside public_html as needed. But for what you want, you might do better to setup a password protection on the directory you'll be working in via cPanel > Password protection. You can then enabled or disable the site from all traffic with 2 clicks there once thats setup.

Don't change permissions on a directory unless you're sure what you're doing. In this case, you don't want to change that directories perms.

If you wish no one to view something on your account, move it outside public_html. In doing so the image will no longer work on your website though, it (the website calling it) is inside public_html/

For images you wish to use on the site for public viewing, you can create a directory if you like in the wp-content/ directory for example just to keep things neat and tidy. If it's a theme specific image, place it in the themes/ directory for that theme.

The .htaccess file serves multiple purposes. For one example, when you created that password protected directory mentioned above, in doing so it wrote some lines of code to the .htaccess file on your account that locks that directory from viewing. For more on using an .htaccess with your wordpress like to use short URLs or something, you should check out the wordpress support site.

This forum is not a very good resource for wordpress blog management. The wordpress support site is best. Don't worry too awful much about the technical words, take it all in in context and it'll all start making sense quickly for you, I'm sure of it. :)

Your host can assist you with lots of this as well.

HTH!

3. RLB

RLB Member

Thank you so much for the reply, that was very helpful and I am going to try it now.

However, I have tried it and whilst the Wordpress log is now assigned to the main domain, the structure has crashed.

Please check the website

/http://www.manlycurls.com (obviate the content as I used Bible passages to fill the content to see how it looked)

When I did the changes, I reloaded the browser and the blog was fine but then 2 seconds later, it crashed the format.

Also, how do I log in to the blog now? I tried using wp-admin at the end of .com and it gives me an Internal Server Error.

This is the sort of stuff I was fearing it'd happen.

Thanks

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Oh my gosh, my apologies. You've got two options here.

Move it back, login to Admin then to Settings > General and edit the site URL settings you see there. Save, then move the site back.
    Or, edit the settings via phpMyAdmin and do the same thing as I just mentioned, from there instead.

Because the site uses those paths, and they are now wrong as you moved the site, everything is of course broken. But the site is safe and intact. Just misconfigured.

Someone on the wordpress support site would not have forgetten to mention this to you I don't think, sorry about that. ;)

5. RLB

RLB Member

I see, I was actually thinking as I was doing it that I had seen something in the WP settings about where does the blog go. That means at least things are beginning to sound familiar to me!

Pardon my newbiness, how do I go back? Shall i select everything again and move it to the blog folder on public_html? I did a back up before touching anything, shall I use the back up instead?

Once I do this and change the setting on the WP, I do the same as you outlined in your first post correct?

Thanks!

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yes and yes. :)

You'll move all files back to where they were located originally. When you do your link to wp-admin will then work.
    Once you've edited that setting and saved, don't click any other links in admin, they won't work I don't think. Close your browser after editing that setting, and then move the files back to public_html/ as mentioned above.

Your bookmarked link with the /blog/ in the URL, will not work either. You'll have to get there manually and set a new one.

GL!

7. RLB

RLB Member

OK.

One question, the WP settings has two site addresses I can change.

WordPress address (URL)
    Site address (URL) - it says here: Enter the address here if you want your site homepage to be different from the directory you

Which shall I change?

8. RLB

RLB Member

I changed both to manlycurls.com

It now seems to be working. However, I would like to ask if the edited file for wordpress on .fantasticodata should look like this

<?
    $thisdb = "myadmin_wrdp1"; $thisdomain = "manlycurls.com"; $thisscriptpath = "/home/myadmin/public_html/";
    ?><?php $OIN = 1 ; ?>

the root is:
    /home/myadmin/.fantasticodata/WordPress/manlycurls.com|blog

The file edited is named

manlycurls.com|blog

Likewise, am I right in assuming this symbol "|" when used in the file directory stands for "/" but without the code implications?

I am asking all these questions because I have read horror stories of people making small changes with file directory and chaos ensuing.

Thanks!

9. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Code:
    <?
    $thisdb = "myadmin_wrdp1"; $thisdomain = "manlycurls.com"; $thisscriptpath = "/home/myadmin/public_html"; 
    ?><?php $OIN = 1 ; ?>

Like this, remove the backslash on the end of public_html

Also, change/rename this file: manlycurls.com|blog

To this: manlycurls.com|

And you're gold. :)

You already went thru all that yourself just a few posts ago. Wasn't so bad, right? :)

You're certainly welcome.