The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WordPress Categories are missing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gunmuse, Mar 3, 2011.

1. gunmuse

gunmuse Well-Known Member

Tried searching for this as its happened on 2 different cpanel server setup's now and this is the 3rd and we fixed it ourselves last year but for the life I can't remember what the cause was now.

Anyway Wordpress sites just don't display the categories setting and their RSS feeds stop working. Wordpress min requirements show mod=rewrite and I don't see that in easy apache anymore.

surely someone else has seen this and can enlighten my faulty memory as to how we fix it.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Donny,

What command(s) did you run to check for mod_rewrite on the machine? Here are the correct commands and returns when checking for it:

Code:
    # httpd -l | grep rewrite
      mod_rewrite.c
    Code:
    # httpd -M | grep rewrite
     rewrite_module (static)
    Syntax OK
    If you are unable to figure out what is wrong for the site, you may want to post on the WordPress Support Forum for further assistance.

3. gunmuse

yeah that reports rewrite on. This is something to do with a default cpanel setup of the server and not really a word press problem. We saw it pop up last year when I did an easy apache run and I undid something but we just can't figure out what is turn on that shouldn't be or turned off that should be on. My reseller thought it had something to do with caching but I have tried on and off configuration builds to no avail. Just seems as if someone else shoud of seen this quirk as well. this is the 3rd time I have seen it but its been over a year since the last and I can't remember my fix.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    WordPress will know what specific settings are required for various components of their product. Asking there does make sense, since they know their product better than we do. If something isn't showing up, they would likely have a better idea what setting needs to be enabled or disabled for it to function.

You might also check the error log for Apache or the site itself to see if there are any errors being thrown:

Code:
    tail -f /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log
    tail -f /home/username/public_html/error_log
    The second tail, please replace username with the cPanel username. If the path for the WordPress install is not directly in public_html, you might modify the path for that command to where it does happen to be installed. Not all applications write their own error_log for PHP to the installed location, so I cannot say if you'll find any application-specific error log there or not.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    What do you mean by missing? The URLs no longer work or actual data is missing? Assuming URLS not working as you mention mod_rewrite. Is this an issue with your permalinks settings?

6. gunmuse

Outdoor News Daily - Outdoor News Reports and Events On a Daily Basis Here is an example in the upper left is says no categories but they are there and its the same with ALL the wordpress sites.

Sending me to someplace else isn't fixing a webhost issue. Their basic requirements listing I am meeting. I am telling you I seen this problem last year and figured it out on my own and just for the life of me can't figure out what setting it was in cpanel that did it.

The appearance of the problem was due to a server migration from one cpanel server to another and there is something not setup exactly the same.

There are tons of posts on wordpress about it unfortunately those are end users and in reality they end.... it just went away. Meaning their hosting company figured it out after an update. So I am HERE hoping one of those other hosting companies will enlighten me.

7. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    This is not a webhost nor a cPanel issue from what I can tell. I didn't send you anywhere, I was offering a suggestion in an effort to try and help.

WordPress › Support » My Categories Disappeared!
    WordPress › Support » Categories disappear
    WHERE have my categories gone??? « WordPress.com Forums

All three of these threads seem to have a valid answer to them. I'm not sure if any solve your issue though. But that last link has this tip:

That seemed to work for some.

Another mentioned restarting MySQL. Not sure about that one, is a table corrupt in the DB possibly?

There are tons of results for this issue on google though. I could find none mentioning that it was the hosts or a cPanel issue.

Heres one more with many comments of thanks to the OP:
    Cumps Consulting » Blog

8. gunmuse

I have over 40 clients with wordpress all with the same issue. So I can't blame theme or widget issues as if it were a single client. I have set up my own wordpress as a testing to see if the above mentioned would work and they did not.

Reasons they don't.
    Mysql restart is to flush the Cache when the host uses heavy caching and the user makes massive changes and see's no result.
    Version use, All sites have this problem from version 2.5 to the latest 3.1
    Theme issue, same reason as above to much variation to be the cause.

I appreciate you searching through there and google but I have also done this long before I came here this is a 5 day old problem now. Its not that I don't want to search and find solutions elsewhere, just in my opinon this problem will be better solved with the minds of people who understand the whole server workings and not just small pieces of it.

9. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Is this appearing after a server migration? Any php modules missing? Can you compare the php modulesand the disable functions with the other server?

One more thing is that I am getting a forbidden error http://outdoornewsdaily.com/ while taking this domain.

#9 LinuxTechie, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  10. LAZer

LAZer Well-Known Member

hi , i had the same problem in my server with the latest wordpress and some ajax features. i solved the problem with removing a command from mod security which blocked some shell codes.
    try emptying mod security rules on your server and see if wordpress categories show up and then try different rules to see which is blocking categories. i dont know why wordpress used some shell codes instead of php functions in the latest update :(

this is the main rule and current rule which is working fine with scripts...
    Code:
    # Shell command execution attempts
    #SecRule ARGS "(rm|ls|kill|(send)?mail|cat|echo|/bin/|/etc/|/tmp/)" "deny"
    SecRule ARGS "(kill|(send)?mail|/etc/|/tmp/)" "deny"
    # I removed rm disabling to make whmcs terminate acc function work correctly.
    # I removed /bin/ disabling to make whmcs change pkg and other acc functions work correctly.
    # I removed echo for some password changing functions through php in whmcs work correctly.
    # I removed ls , for word press js and ajax functions work correctly.
    # I removed cat , so that word press categories work.

hope this helps.

11. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    This sounds like a winner to me.

12. gunmuse

Thanks lazer that has given me some direction to go in at least. I didn't have mod security even turned on which would seem to me that it woudl prevent the problem entirely. I am recompiling with mod security now and Iw ill make the modifications. I still think this is going to come down to a combo of items that don't play well with each other. Am I to assume that you allow shell access for your wordpress sites? since I am not could that be the hiccup?

13. LAZer

LAZer Well-Known Member

well i dont give shell access to my users even a jailed shell access :D anyway the codes that wordpress is using is php shell codes like the hacking codes that some hackers upload to servers. anyway infopro can give you better & more detailed answer.

14. gunmuse

Just now found the solution to this by sheer accident. Zend Optimizer HAS to be enabled by running /scripts/installzendopt running this for another install turned on categories for Word Press platform.

This requirement is not written ANYWHERE at WP , Resellers who bundle Cpanel and Wordpress are of no help and I am just to assume that most platorms enable this by default. But that was teh variable that was causign the hiccup.

15. gunmuse

This is funny I wiped out categories again had do come back to my own post find the answer another year later. My brain is fried I swear.

16. gunmuse

only this time it didn't fix the problem.

What I am doing different this year.

Suphp vs DSO
    Using Ruid2
    Suexec is on.

Could this be an issue with the suphp.conf file and Permissions set within? Since I was on DSO last year I only see permissions as the issue difference here.

17. sardelich

sardelich Well-Known Member

do you maybe want a sample easyapache conf to see what modules are loaded? or main php conf? i have a server with lets say 10-12 wp sites,really working nice,and i didnt have any problems after migration 2 months ago.not even a db fix was necessary.one site lost categories in wp but template reinstall fix that.so it was a template issue...all other sites are really working very well...

18. gunmuse

I would love that. I use Cpanelsource and paid for their $50 / month troubleshooting team and are referencing them here to this problem as well so if you have working example it would help all of us. I just want this problem to go away. Customers are beating me up and I am now "GRUMPY":)

19. gunmuse

I will post back here when we find what was missing I hate forum posts with no solutions especially ones that "rank well".

I would note to readers. My madness is one that I am upgrading the security on a current server BEFORE I migrate customers to a newer server.
    I have centos 5.x now with 16 gig of ram on a Dual cpu box one of the old HP DL385's (freaking trucks still flys after 9 years) only the new kernel's don't work with those cpu's.
    So I am replacing it with a 48 Gig Dual Xeon with 6 SSD drives(SSD's are cheaper than SCSI these days) on a Centos 6.x box.
    So trying to avoid the stress of sites going down during xfer. Going to start a post and link it here for some helpful suggestions on box configuration using SSD's since we want to limit writes.

20. sardelich

sardelich Well-Known Member

ok so here is the yaml of easy apache,and what is the best way to give you the apache or php config?any ideas before i start pasting codes? :D

View attachment Default.zip