The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wordpress Nightmare can I use a temorary domain name for building new site?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kortia, Nov 20, 2010.

1. kortia

kortia Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have built probably built 60 wordpress sites and I am stumped with this one.

I have a current website hennahut.com and I want to move it over to to wordpress from a very old sitebuilder. The problem is I need to figure out a way to create a temporary domain name or something and then point the dns to the new server. I have spent hours upond hours and cannot figure out how to do it. Originally I was told I could use a temporary domain name then change that domain name in wordpress and it would work. I could do this with rack cloud all day long. Rack cloud was super chunky and this is a big site I need to move. It has out grown the sitebuilder and having issues so I have to move it now.
    That brings me to the next question, will wordpress handle a 200 plus page website?

I do NOT use fantastico, I load all my own wordpress sites from scratch.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. kortia

kortia Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not a 404 error.
    Building a New WordPress Website at an Existing Domain is the problem I am having.

I already have a site on hennahut.com so I do not know how to build a new site for henna hut using wordpress seeing I have a site on that domain already. (have to be familiar with wordpress.org)

basically I need to move it over towordpress and it is a 200 plus page site.

The reason I need to move it is because the sitebuilder it was built with on is on overload. They are telling me it is to big for that site builder.

That reason and several others..

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    This part of your post above is whats confusing me:

Couldn't you create a directory at yourdomain.com/wp/ (the wp can be whatever you like) and install your new wordpress to that directory? If needed, you could even password protect this directory from within your cPanel to keep it private until you have the site setup as you wish.

Once the new site's up and your content is manually moved over to your wordpress (assuming thats the plan) and you're ready to pull the plug on the old site builder site, Lock down the domain for just long enough to move all the old sites files out of the public_html and move the contents of /wp/ into public_html.

I apologize if these are steps you've already considered and can't do for whatever reason.

5. kortia

kortia Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I do appreciate your help and any advice is good. Moving the files is a great idea, I just do not know who to do all of that. I am new to cpanel.
    Rackcloud.com you just clicked temporary domain name, used yoru regular domain and it created a sub domain name. They you loaded wordpress and when you were done and ready to move it you just changed the settings in wordpress and the DNS settings on the old to the new and poof it was up and running.

Bad thing is a cloud space gets super chunky once you add a few sites.

So far cpanel has been awesome, I just have to learn it all. Which I have been, but goodness it is a lot to learn. and I am in a rush to get the new site built.

I am going to try the way you suggested. I was hoping cpanel had a temporary domain for setting up wordpress, but for everything else it has I am certainly grateful. :)

Thank you soooooo much for your help!

6. kortia

kortia Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: Wordpress Nightmare can I use a temporary domain name for building new site?

hennahut.com/wp/ will not work as it will not set up a cpanel for that domain. I did manage to set up a hennahut.com.hennahut.com as a Cname ( or sub-domain name).

7. boonjackmedia

boonjackmedia Active Member

Wordpress can handle a 200+ page site no problem (most of our client sites are that size or larger), and yes you can use any domain or site with a WP current version install to setup the look, feel, and function beforehand.

Once the new WP site is setup you can use export and import via Tools > into the established active domain using a clean WP install. Then finish importing any designs, plugins, or uploaded files needed.

One WP plugin I'd recommend is WP Super Cache to handle the page loading.

Mike

8. kortia

kortia Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Wow thank you! I really appreciate the help!