The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about Mailman processes

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by tylrs, Apr 28, 2014.

1. tylrs

tylrs Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This morning, I checked my email inbox and had about 300 unread emails from my newly created cPanel server. I've had the server running for about 2 weeks and am still in the process of finishing setup. There are very few accounts setup and at this point I'm the only one with access. I have it fairly hardened from the outside, no password auth for ssh, csf installed and restricted, etc.

So, the emails started off looking like this:

Code:
    Time: Mon Apr 28 07:08:33 2014 -0500 
    Account: mailman 
    Resource: Process Time 
    Exceeded: 36756 > 1800 (seconds) 
    Executable: /usr/bin/python 
    Command Line: /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/python /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=VirginRunner:0:1 -s 
    PID: 20056 (Parent PID:20049) 
    Killed: No 
    Followed by:

Code:
    Time: Mon Apr 28 07:08:33 2014 -0500 
    Account: mailman 
    Resource: Process Time 
    Exceeded: 36756 > 1800 (seconds) 
    Executable: /usr/bin/python 
    Command Line: /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/python /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=VirginRunner:0:1 -s 
    PID: 20056 (Parent PID:20049) 
    Killed: No 
    I googled the command line and found that I can add exclusions to my csf settings, which I did. Then, I go and check my spam folder in email and I have an email from my server, account "mailman-owner@kappa.domain.com". After reading the email, it looks like a mailman subscription list was setup. However, I never did this.

Code:
    The mailing list `mailman' has just been created for you. The 
    following is some basic information about your mailing list. 
    Is this normal to occur on a new cPanel server?

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The messages about Mailman process time are from CSF, not from cPanel. CSF is not part of cPanel, and we do not develop it. CSF is not installed by default on a new cPanel installation, because it is not part of cPanel. While many users in this forum do use CSF and may be able to offer you advice, it is not our product and you may get more specific answers by asking for help on CSF's own forum:

Way to the Web Technical Support
    ConfigServer Community Forum • Index page

A mailing list named mailman does exist by default on a cPanel server, even if you have not created any mailing lists in any cPanel accounts.