The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would creating a cPanel/WHM clone be legal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eclipse0468, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Eclipse0468

Eclipse0468 Registered

If all code was my own (obviously, since cPanel is closed source), and if I gave the creators of cPanel and WHM full credit for the original concept, feature ideas, layout, etc., and any graphics that I use? Note that I will not, or ever will, make a single cent off this project.

I think that attempting to create a clone of something like cPanel or WHM would the ultimate webdesign challenge, and I'm willing to step up to that. I also want to be able to share my work with others so I can receive feedback, notification of bugs that are found, and custom feature requests.

Would there be any possibility of legal trouble from cPanel or anybody else if I do this? I'll say again that I will give the creators of cPanel full credit for the original concept, feature ideas, layout, etc., and any cPanel graphics that are used in the project.

Thank you for your time.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

IMO, that would most certainly be a breach of copyright. Giving credit means nothing unless you have express permission to use cPanel's designs, the same goes for making no money out of it. I would suggest that you do two things:

1. Contact cPanel - billing@cpanel.net
    2. Speak to a lawyer

3. jester.ro

jester.ro Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    i don't get it...you want to create a clone regarding functionality, or regarding design?

functionality...i don't think there are any copyright issues.

design...yes.

4. Eclipse0468

Eclipse0468 Registered

Well, a "clone" is an exact replica of something, so to answer your question, both.

The billing department already answered my questions so I might as well delete this topic.

5. Specks

Specks Well-Known Member

If he made a clone of cPanel. Meaning everything was copied right down to the look and feel of cPanel. You would have an issue and cPanel would have cause to go after you (read, take legal action). However there is nothing stopping a person from programing his/her own cPanel type product that does the same thing and maybe even more. After all, you have Helm, Plesk and others. Whats one more on the market, right? I hate to be a naysayer but I doubt very much that a single individual could match the quality of more established companys like cPanel, Helm, Plesk and friends.

Oh and to make sure you don't get any ideas. I am not a lawyer and this should not be taken or construed as legal advice.

6. Eclipse0468

Eclipse0468 Registered

That's what I'm going to do. I'm going to create my own with cPanel/WHM type features.

7. Secret Agent

Secret Agent Guest

Why not be 100% original and think of your own features instead of even mentioning cpanel?

As for matching competitors, if someone has the will and knowledge to do so, who is to say they cannot even top off the competitors? Everyone starts at zero and works their way up :)