The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this make a decent cpanel server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dragon2611, Apr 16, 2008.

1. dragon2611

dragon2611 Well-Known Member

http://www.microwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/item/TVHP0228

Probably wouldn't get the 2nd CPU because i'd have to pay upfront for that and be worried that the claim fails i'd have spent a lot of extra money on a CPU I don't really need (yet)

But that aside

Was thinking of popping a couple of 500Gb drives in raid1 and co-locating it in A UK Datacenter (would Samsung spinpoints be suitable?)

Currently rent a p4 D 3Ghz with 250gb HDD 2gb ram on 10Mbit unmetered with nocster but after renting Various servers over the last couple of years (Changed providers/upgrades mostly) i'm seriously looking into owning my own hardware.

Server is Used for hosting My site and Sites of Friends.

http://fbdn.net/bwg has graphs produced by Cacti (it stacks 1,5,15min load average's btw)

Was a bit worried about the CPU speed is only 1.6ghz although being based on the core microachectecture and the fact it's a quad-core it should be fast enough I would have thought, but it would be nice to get confirmation from someone.

Seems like a reasonable price for a 1U server to me but then again Server architecture isn't something I have vast experience with :eek: I'm more familiar with desktop PC's

The other Option I was looking at is Dell Frequently have offers on the poweredge R200 for £300(ish) + Vat and shipping although the base model usually only comes with 1gb DDR2 and a dual core CPU by the time you pay VAT it's not much cheaper than the HP and that's before I even look at upgrading the CPU to quad core and using ECC ram.

Would be running centos, Cpanel, Mysql5x / php5x, apache 2.2x + assp (Deluxe) as well as the standard cpanel services (ftp,exim.etc)

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

The problem I always see with doing a co-lo is that if the box dies you either have to run down to the datacenter to work on it or have them ship it back.

We have lots of inhouse boxes but for our super high-speed customers we rent dedicateds from SoftLayer. We got some Quad-core Xeon 3220's with lots of ram, raptor disks, etc for $300 a month but the nice part is if the box dies they replace the parts and they will trouble shoot ANYTHING hardware as its their junk. Not to mention how the better dedicated providers add extras like their special control panels to do almost anything including o/s reloads.

If you are not going to be within 25 miles of the c/o I dont think doing a colo is the best bet.

Just my 2cents.....

3. dragon2611

dragon2611 Well-Known Member

About 30miles but a fairly simple drive. ;)