The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you / Did you Upgrade ? / Would you have done it different ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silver_2000, Jun 21, 2007.

?

Would you / Did you Upgrade ? / Would you have done it different ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2007.
  1. Yes I upgraded

66.7%
  2. No I have not yet upgraded

23.6%
  3. I upgraded but then changed back to V 10 - Please explain

5.6%
  4. I upgraded but wish I didnt - Please explain

5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Silver_2000

Silver_2000 Well-Known Member

Quick poll to see percentage of people that upgraded the servers to 11

Im on the fence as of now - looking for feedback so I know whether to change 2 servers to manual to avoid upgrade in next week or so

Thanks for your input

#1 Silver_2000, Jun 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  2. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I upgraded one server and it went fine. I use RHEL and am on manual release. I will upgrade my busy server this weekend.

Only problem I had was getting a non-default style to work in all accounts (see another thread). I also needed to stop and start mysql to kill some memory problems (mysql was upgraded and cpanel only seems to restart it - it needs a definite stop and start to work properly).

The few clients that are on the upgraded server were ecstatic with the new look and web disk features.

3. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I upgraded one server, very carefully researching first, and although I had no catastrophic problems, I do have an ongoing problem with an overall increased server load that I have not been able to resolve. I'm too far committed to cp11 and don't really want to back up, but will in the next few days if I can't track down the reason for the increased avg server load. I'm fairly sure it has something to do with mailscanner, but it could be a bigger combination of things. It's not that my avg load is over the roof, but it's definitely pushing the limit.

4. Chriz1977

Chriz1977 Well-Known Member

Hi

One of my servers auto-upgraded to v11 and worked ok(ish), the other failed an upgrade and now im having to reload the whole OS!!

On the whole, id say, Stick with v10 untill all the bugs are sorted out in v11, If you dont you may have some very anoid customers (like i had!)

Chriz

5. Silver_2000

Im already having load issues with one server
    Both servers have similar numbers of online connections and both run mysql yet one is running about 2x the load of the other

keep the feedback coming

Doug

6. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    We've had a lot of people mention that mailscanner takes more load under cpanel 11. However since we don't make a mail scanner package, its up to the mailscanner package vendor to solve (if its possible).

7. Silver_2000

troubleshooting 101 says If somethings is different - "what changed"
    Since in this case what changed is the Cpanel software - could Cpanel participate in figuring out which of the changes THEY made, caused one of the most popular spam scanners to use more resources .. ?

8. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    We do not offer support for third party products that we do not include, it is the vendors responsibility to make sure their product is compatible with the latest version. There is no possible way we could make sure everyone else's addons are going to work with a new version unless we just don't change a thing.

If I had to guess I'd say your mail is being scanned with spamassassin twice now. Once in the acls, and once my mailscanner.

9. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    AWESOME but... broke cPaddons

I thought the upgrade to cPanel 11 was awesome - and then had to go backwards.
    We found a bug http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=5591
    I know your team will work on this - so because of this - okay with waiting to go to Version 11

If it does not get fixed - wow - I would hate to think of what would happen...
    Especially since I would need to find a new solution...

The cPanel team has put a ton of work and effort behind the new release - I am very pleased thus far with what I have seen.

10. Silver_2000

Im confused - Mailscanner is a "A Free Anti-Virus and Anti-Spam Filter" and its been dloaded over a million times and changes Cpanel has made caused the load to go up and its mailscanners issue to fix the problem that was caused by your changes ?

I was hoping that since the Cpanel changes were what caused the problems that Cpanel would at least participate in the solution but I guess not.

Must be a great place to be... To not be responsible for the impact of any changes that you make ...

11. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Why should we be responsible for ensuring third party applications work when we don't write them, don't participate in their development, and have zero control over them?

12. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    line is drawn.

NICK - I hear ya ...

I think cPanel has done an excellent job at trying to include as much as possible- but there does of course need to be a place where the line is drawn in the sand...

Like usual however when that line gets drawn - many will think its your fault that the water is muddy.

Is there a suggested work around ?
    I have not experienced this personally - but think perhaps someone like Chirpy or a few others could help here...

13. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If you have increased loads then by all means please open a ticket @ https://tickets.cpanel.net/submit/ . As long as it isn't a problem with mailscanner, we would be more then happy to work with you to mitigate the problem as quickly as possible.

14. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I don't use mailscanner ..but I can telly ou all that when 11 changed to where the email procesing through exim and spamassassin was re-configured it made my loads go down 30% at the very least and mail queue went down 75% and spam has gone down 50% as well.

I am willing to be the problems with mailscanner are simply related to the way the new less cpu expensive exim configuration handles and processes messages. I love the new system.

15. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi cpanelnick,

I appreciate your input and understand your position. It is reasonable, and I'm not arguing about that.

I'm still left in an awkward position though. I don't have the depth of knowledge of your team or people like chirpy and am unable to troubleshoot and resolve this myself. That's why I pay for things like cpanel and chirpy's mailscanner package. I'm pretty much left with the choice of:
    a) backing up to cp 10, which is really no choice as it won't be around for ever, or
    b) removing mailscanner, which is no choice as the default spamassassin stuff just wasn't doing the job and my clients would be very upset with the increase in garbage, or
    c) wait it out and hope that some tweak to a cp release, or something from chirpy, will identify and resolve the issue

For now I've opted for c) I've tried getting some discussion going here (in another thread) and putting in a ticket with chirpy's team. I'm beginning to think I may have to try a) or b) soon though.

Anywise nick, I do understand it's not your problem but also appreciate any insight you may have, even if it is guesswork. I would imagine the many other people dependent on mailscanner and chirpy's mailscanner front end also appreciate it.

16. Silver_2000

Well I upgraded server 1

It took a while, the Putty connection died right after the MySQL updates, but the upgrade finished and no issues

Going to wait a week or 2 before upgrading server 2

17. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

We first upgraded to Cpanel 11 in it's earliest release a year ago ...

Been upgrading servers to Cpanel daily on every release between then and now ...

Also been using Apache 2 with Cpanel for well over a year now too ...

Done the same for hundreds of servers ....

NO PROBLEMS .... WORKS GREAT

(98% of the problems complain about Cpanel 11 upgrades around here
    can actually be fixed in 10 seconds if most people knew what they were
    doing a bit better or understood the underlying cause of their issues)

18. Silver_2000

Thats FUNNY - Really FUNNY
    Let me paraphrase:

"If they knew as much as me, they wouldn't have these problems"

If people knew the underlying cause of their issues they wouldn't be asking questions. Which is why they are asking for help.

19. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Upgraded all 32 of our servers with no real problems.

My only complaint about cpanel11 is that it encourages the use of the catch-all mailbox which I think is a very bad idea.

20. jenlepp

jenlepp Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I upgraded all 4 servers and have seen some small problems, but nothing that would encourage me to go back down. I wasn't happy about having to dump the old skin for the new but, at the moment, the old skin is not really forwards compatible. We also had someone move from another Cpanel server company to us, their Cpanel 10.x, and their site is a rainbow flavor of all kinds of hosed. Not happy.

I am also running MailScanner on all 4 servers and have not seen a load increase at all, however, I don't run virus scanning or attachment filtering, so that may be why I'm not seeing that issue.

I'm not happy. But I'm not furiously ticked. Yet.