The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow..who is this place?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sisters2, Feb 23, 2004.

1. sisters2

sisters2 Member

I went to C Pannel and was looking at my pages stats when I found links of pages people went to listed there most were my other pages but one was this one:
    http://www.whois.sc/incredible-sisters.com
    if you notice at the bottom is my ADDRESS/ PHONE NUMBER/ everything about ME>>>>> supplyied it says by you...
    what is this? is my information sent in to you not secure?

Here is what is written if you dont want to jump to the page:

Registration Service Provided By: ACENET INC.
    Visit: http://www.ace-host.net

Domain name: incredible-sisters.com

Registrant Contact:

Kathleen Ramsey ()
    +1.4355279239
    Fax: None
    P.O.Box 48
    Monroe, UT 84754
    US

Administrative Contact:

Kathleen Ramsey ()
    +1.4355279239
    P.O.Box 48
    Monroe, UT 84754
    US

Technical Contact:

Kathleen Ramsey ()
    +1.4355279239
    P.O.Box 48
    Monroe, UT 84754
    US

Billing Contact:

Kathleen Ramsey ()
    +1.4355279239
    P.O.Box 48
    Monroe, UT 84754
    US

Name Servers:
    NS9.SECURENET-SERVER.NET
    NS10.SECURENET-SERVER.NET

Creation date: 22 Jan 2004 08:40:46
    Expiration date: 22 Jan 2005 08:40:46

2. DN-Paul

DN-Paul Well-Known Member

:confused: What has this got to do with cpanel?

Do you own incredible-sisters.com? If you do, then your information *should* be displayed.
    If you don't own that domain, get intouch with the owner of it and ask them why they are using your information.

3. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

it's called a whois lookup. anyone can see that info.

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Domain registration info is public. If that's your domain and you don't want the info public, then you need to use a service called private registration which basically means the registrar or registration reseller uses their own info for the registration. Some places charge for this and others don't.

5. DN-Paul

DN-Paul Well-Known Member

Can you give some info of the places that don't charge?
    I just this minute (still awaiting the confirmation emails) paid $9.00/year per domain for this service on 5 domains :(

6. PWSowner

We don't. As far as I know, most registrars do, but as a registrar reseller, we offer private registration at no additional cost over our registration prices. By selecting our privacy option, we put your name as the registrant with our contact info and give you an email of [username]@privatelyregistered.com which you can have forwarded to your own email account, or just go to us to forward to you if it's legitimate.

Currently .com, .net, or .org, through us is $16/year, but we are just finishing up some modifications to the site and prices, and by tomorrow our price will be $14/year.

7. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

14? Our charge is only $10 per year. Im glad i protected all my domains as soon as this service went into action. If you want this service you will need to transfer your domain to us then select the option to protect your domain name.

8. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

looks like this has changed to a domain bidding war. Do like I do use www.godaddy.com and put Mickey Mouse on all your domains.

9. PWSowner

No bidding war here. It was asked where free privacy is available and I don't know off hand any registrars who offer it so I said some resellers do.

I don't really care if anyone uses our registration service. There's no profit in that. Most of our registration customers are also using our hosting. Registration alone isn't worth it.

Now DN-Paul knows of at least 2 options. Probably more to come. ;)

I use Godaddy for registration also, but if someone registered with Godaddy themselves, and also used their privacy option, it would cost more than if they go through us.

You said you put Mickey Mouse. What about address and email? Legally it has to be correct and that's what people want private.

10. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you use false information in the whois you can lose your domain. This includes having someone else as the owner when they are in fact, not. So called "privacy" feature. This is the rules of ICANN and they are BOSS.

But yes, I use false information on all my domains and domains I register for clients. My advice is don't pay for so called "privacy" feature, just use a slightly different address and phone number - ("silly me I got it wrooong" can be your excuse if anyone objects). I have been using false details since 1997 and never been pulled up for doing it. My Privacy is important.

When i register domains for clients, I use whatever info they give me - I don't check if it's right or wrong. Everyone's entitled to privacy.