The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wrangling some ftp permissions for a custom solution for a client

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stardotstar, Oct 13, 2009.

1. stardotstar

stardotstar Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Hi all,

I have a particular client who I have previously (before migrating to cP/WHM) managed manually with proFTPd and virtual ftp users therein.

This is a very basic ftp based file sharing system based on simple unix permissions.

The idea is that there is an effectively anonomyous ftp account which a client of the organisation can use to access a "Drop Box" where the files can be uploaded but can't be viewed - preventing directory listing and reading but allowing writing and executing so that other clients' dropped files cant be seen.

And a "Get Box" in which the semi-anon account can read but not write.

The semi-anon user is root jailed at that directory and therefore when logging in with

user: client
    pass: client

/Drop_Box (can upload to but not read, list or delete)
    /Get_Box (can read but not write or otherwise modify)

So far so good.

The permissions are based on group and owner permissions and the directory level above provides for an administrative layer wherein the Organisation's authorised representatives can see the whole tree without the restrictions applied to the semi-anon account "client"

Is therefore the structure.

The admin account has normal account owner access to the whole tree below /admin including reading writing, deleting and so on in the client's folder/tree.

My question is this...

Obviously I can recreate this permissions architecture on the WHM box within an account of the WHM system by unravelling the virtual account UID and GIDs and then chmodding the directory structure but is there anything I need to be aware of in this instance that will cause cPanel for the account or the WHM itself to baulk at it?

This is a one off requirement and I would prefer to do it in an integrated fashion with their cPanel account and WHM manged services. If all it requires is me to handle the permissions on the directories and the assignment of the users and their home/root directory within the ftp manager of cPanel it will be straightforward.

Any one want to comment on this?