JonMarkGo

Sep 14, 2005
I have a variety of domain names on my server. But for some reason, when people ping it, they don't get my main one. They get one of my resellers instead. How do I fix this so my main domain shows up as being attached to that IP?

Stefaans

Mar 5, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
Although it seems unrelated, I think the domain in the ping response depends on your Apache configuration. The first domain defined for a given IP address is the one that is listed in the ping response. So, simply reorder the VirtualHost entries in your httpd.conf, restart Apache and you should be good ;)

Stefaans

Mar 5, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
Maybe my suggestion was not clear -- I meant the first domain (VirtualHost) for the given IP address. There may be other VirtualHosts for other IP addresses defined before this one, but that should not matter.

Or maybe I am just simply wrong about this :eek:

Stefaans

Mar 5, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
It did indeed miss the mark by a mile. I checked on this side and have found it has to do with reverse DNS (that would make much more sense). If a PTR record exist for the IP address (of the domain you are pinging), that name is retuned.

JonMarkGo

Sep 14, 2005
I understood what you meant :P There are other domains with the same ip/port before it.

JonMarkGo

Sep 14, 2005
I got the same domain in that that I do in ping, but it still doesn't explain how to fix it :(