The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrong MySQL version

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by fotan, Sep 10, 2012.

1. fotan

fotan Registered

Ok, so, long story short. I have a CentOS 5.8 VPS running WHM/cPanel and I used the MySQL upgrade link in WHM. Went from 5.0.x to 5.1.x and it was really easy. Figured MySQL 5.5.x was listed so it must be a good idea to upgrade. Needless to say my server melted down.

The paid support guys (on my Spry VPS) were able to get 5.0.x installed for me and get me running, but everywhere that shows what version of MySQL you're running shows 5.5.x. Any clue how to change it so I can again upgrade to 5.1.x?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Matt

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Matt,

First of all, how did they get it installed and running? Next, where are you checking the MySQL version and seeing MySQL 5.5 listed?

Also, please ensure you have a full backup of MySQL before proceeding with any further changes.

As for changing the version, you can edit /var/cpanel/cpanel.config file and modify this line:

Code:
    mysql-version=5.5
    Change it to 5.1 instead, then run the following (again, please ensure you have full MySQL backups):

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/whostmgr2 --updatetweaksettings
    /scripts/mysqlup --force
    /scripts/easyapache
    Thanks!

3. fotan

fotan Registered

Hi Tristan. Thanks for the suggestion. I logged in and edited the cpanel.config line then ran the updatetweaksettings line, but cPanel and WHM are still showing MySQL 5.5 as being installed. I haven't run the mysqlup or easyapache commands yet. I did look at the MySQL Upgrade section in WHM and it still says I can't upgrade to anything but 5.5.

I'm unsure how the admin rolled me back to 5.0 from 5.5. I don't know if you've ever dealt with Spry, but their service has gone into the toilet over the last few years. I asked some questions about what happened and what they did to fix it and was told that I would have to pay another $75 for him to answer. A-holes.

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For MySQL 5.1 to install, you'll have to run /scripts/mysqlup --force and then /scripts/easyapache as just editing the /var/cpanel/cpanel.config and running updatetweaksettings doesn't update MySQL to 5.1

You cannot use the WHM GUI I would imagine. You'll have to do it the way I stated. Please ensure to have the mysql backup I mentioned before updating MySQL to 5.1

5. fotan

fotan Registered

I guess I'm just a little nervous about forcing a MySQL upgrade. Is there a way to tell it to upgrade to 5.1 and not 5.5?

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You told it to upgrade to MysQL 5.1 by putting 5.1 into the /var/cpanel/cpanel.config file. You cannot do it via the GUI in WHM in this instance. After setting the forced version of MySQL for the upgrade in /var/cpanel/cpanel.config, you have to run /scripts/mysqlup as I've indicated and then update EasyApache

if the upgrade fails, then change /var/cpanel/cpanel.config back to 5.0 and re-run /scripts/mysqlup --force again.