The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrong Partions on HDD - reconfigure HDD space

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KimBO, Jul 27, 2005.

1. KimBO

KimBO Well-Known Member

Hello...

we have on one server two partitions:

/dev/hda3 -
    > 60GB, 85% in use
    -> /

/dev/hda1
    -> 20GB, 1% in use
    -> /boot

All our webspace etc. runs on hda3 - hda1 is 20GB big, but you never need more than 1GB... we want to reconfigure our partitions now (I do not know why our server hoster did this in the beginning), because we are runing out of disk space...

How can we do it in a smooth and (most important) secure way? Is there an easy solution with a minium risk? What can go wrong (ok, worst case - all datas are gone)? What we have to think about... Any hints and ideas?

Thanks! :D

Greetings...

KimBO
    :D

2. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

If you want to do it in a safe way, then the only way to do it is to backup the data and have your host perform an OS Reload where he/she can repartition the drive to your specifications. You really shouldn't even need more than 100MB for /boot.

3. KimBO

KimBO Well-Known Member

Yes - I think, this is the safest way to do it... :(

Have you ( or somebody else) experience with this? Did somebody success with this things or did not success - what I have to thing about?

4. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

I have had a faulty drive in the past and needed to get an OS reload and backup all the accounts and restore them to the freshly installed OS and worked fine. I also had to do the same for a few other people in the past and all went well except for one person who didn't care to take backups of the data and instead just copied everything over to a second harddrive, which makes it more complicated.

All you should do is backup all of the accounts using the WHM backup system to either a secondary harddrive which will NOT be repartitioned/reformatted or to a remote server and then restore from that point once the new OS is loaded.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member