The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wrong permission with ftp user made in cpanel ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xzyyy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. xzyyy

xzyyy Registered

for example, make a file using root user, when you create a ftp user like abc@abc.com, login with it in windows explorer, you will find that you can delete this file without any problem.... in other words, virtual ftp user(with domain name), made in cpanel, login with win explorer can delete any files on the server. the worst thing is, such a user can delete all .htaccess files on the server even though you change these files to premission 000.
    could anybody help me to solve it? or just is a bug of cpanel?
    thanks

2. xzyyy

xzyyy Registered

could anybody help me, i try once and once but there isn't any solution about this problem....
    thanks

3. Kailash1

Kailash1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If the file is owned by root user, a normal FTP user can not delete/modify/move the file. I tested this on cPanel server, I could not delete the files owned by root. You will need to check further why you are able to delete root owned files using normal FTP user.

Kailash

4. xzyyy

xzyyy Registered

hey Kailash1,
    sure, you can't delete it in a general ftp client, like flashfxp and so on. but when you login with windows exploror(visit ftp://user@yourdomain.com in windows exploror, fill your usr & passwd into the blank), you can delete it certainly. i try many times, actually you can delete any file with this method. could you please try as my method? thanks