The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrong Server Load is Being Reported

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PeteC, Dec 15, 2003.

1. PeteC

PeteC Well-Known Member

For the last few weeks, I have had a strange problem on one server. It's not necessarily a cPanel issue, but I thought I'd post here and see if any of the gurus who hang out would have any ideas.

What happens is that on one server (RedHat 7.3, cPanel 8.5.3 Stable 3), the server load is reported as too high. Instead of varying between, say 0 and 1.5, it will vary between 4 and 5.5 or 3 and 4.5, etc. Yet the server is responsive and obviously not running at such a high load. After some hours of this, the problem resolves itself and "base" load becomes 0 again. The only real problem this causes is that it stalls backups and log file processing.

Has anybody seen anything like this before, and if so, do you have any idea how to resolve it short of a reboot? I have searched all through this forum and Google and haven't gotten anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or ideas.

2. mbarb

mbarb Member

I think I'm seeing similar behavior. The only solution I've found it to run the load way up (6-10) with some kind of a disk intensive task such as a large find or grep. When the load comes down it seems to return to normal

3. PeteC

PeteC Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll give that a try the next time it happens.

4. PeteC

PeteC Well-Known Member

This is a really old thread, but I still have the problem on that one server.

The easiest solution is to just run /scripts/upcp and when it's done the load comes down to normal. It doesn't actually upgrade CP, as I have that on manual only. It just redoes the nightly update and that fixes the load. I suppose I could look through upcp and see what is fixing the load problem, but I haven't bothered yet.

I just post this in case it is of help to anybody.