The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

www. not working, A records, Httpd.config, .htaccess not solving this. .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lutherblissett, Mar 29, 2011.

1. lutherblissett

lutherblissett Registered

Mar 29, 2011
    Ok where do i begin. I've literally tried to solve this problem for about 2 weeks reading forums, trying things out etc. . . finally its got me so aggravated that I need to start asking questions.

I have a site

When i goto, or both work and send me to my homepage. Now i add subdomains, e.g- works doesn't work.

NOW this seems like a cut and dry answer everywhere i look, I always get 2 answers -
    1)you need to create an A record.

IN my case I have the following A record added:

Name Type Record A IP address listed here ( or whatever)

2)you need to change the httpd.config file in apache for ServerAlias

I have the following inside my httpd.config file

<Virtual Host IP:PORT>
    DocumentRoot . . . . .etc etc.

I just can't figure out why the domain will not resolve. Its driving me insane. I tried to use an .htaccess redirect, which someone suggested. I used this suggestion:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.mt-example\.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$$1 [L,R=301]

then uploaded the file to cpanel.
    -When its loaded, i no longer see it in the files even though i know its there. Anyone tell me how to have cpanel show this hidden .htaccess file?

Still this doesn't solve the problem really. To add insult to injury, i'm having problems logging into cpanel using ftp to try to find the .htaccess with filezilla. I use the correct username/password. . but get a 530 error login incorrect everytime

Someone out there has to have some legit answers to this situation. THanks
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

May 20, 2003
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, your host has the answers you seek, I'm sure of it.

In your cPanel, at bottom there is a link to 'reset all interface settings' click that. Once the page refreshes you get a popup, click No I'm fine thanks! Next, click File Manager icon, another popup, on this one, at bottom of that popup find the option to "Show Hidden Files (dotfiles)" I like to start in the Home Directory, but you choose and hit Go.

You should now see the hidden dotfile .htaccess in the root of the domain. (public_html/.htaccess)
  3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is there any way you can provide one of the actual subdomains on your domain so we can check the DNS records for it? Providing examples doesn't allow us to actually check the DNS and see the results we have when trying to navigate to one of the actual subdomains with www on it.

Additionally, since you mentioned the httpd.conf entries, you are likely the administrator of the machine with root SSH access to it, correct?