The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WWW Renamed.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ac19189, Jan 25, 2006.

1. ac19189

ac19189 Registered

Well I went to delete something via ftp client and deleted the hole name of the image and then clicked away by mistake saving the img with no name at all...

My issue now is that my www link is in jpeg format... :p
    Anyone that can tell me step by step on how to fix this issue would be a great help seeing as I can't wait for my hosting company support team to fix it.

Thanks for your time. :cool:

#1 ac19189, Jan 25, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  2. tuxdesk

tuxdesk Well-Known Member

www is not a folder it is a link to public_html

3. ac19189

ac19189 Registered

Did not know that but I remember being told that now. Thank you Ill edit my post now but does anyone know how to fix the issue. :P

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

What I'm trying to figure out is if you deleted the name of an image file, how did that change the www link?

If you can't fix the file/link names in FTP, it may have to be done in shell. If you don't have shell access, your host may have to fix it for you.

5. ac19189

ac19189 Registered

What happen is I was connected to my server via ftp with cuteftp.
    Then when i left clicked an image file i wanted to delete I clicked it one to many times and opened it up to left me rename it I then clicked delete thinking I was deleting my image but deleted the hole name of the image.

Then I clicked away by mistake before I could put anything at all as a name. What ended up happening is when I back out of the wwww link I still see all my other files etc but the www link is not showing as a folder but a .jpeg format now. So now its a normal file.

x.x So now im forced to go into public_html to edit anything but thats not what I want to be forced to do. So I need to find a way to make this www go back to a folder/link or find out how I can delete it and then remake a new link....

Not sure but this has happen two times now last time was with my old hosting company and they had it fixed in minutes. This new one is my friends hosting company he gives me free but isnt to hot on support :P

6. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

If you disconnect and close the window, then reconect, does the www still look different? The www is just a symlink to the public_html so when you double-click on it and go in that folder, then go back to your root folder, it does change the icon used to display it. If you colse the window and reconnect, it should look the same again. It doesn't sound like anything was done to it.

7. ac19189

ac19189 Registered

Meh...

File Type: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.02

I think something was done... :rolleyes:

>.> Now it has become a big issue having it messed up so now I really need to work out whats going on and how to fix it asap I need to install scripts but cant really do that because the mysql points to the www link not public_html. So any help on fixing this issue be great already messaged my hosting my friend but hes in bed at this hour.

Any way I can delete the folder and just reset the link or something? x.x
    Only have a few hours to get this working. <.< :eek:

Thanks for dealing with me.

#7 ac19189, Jan 26, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2006