The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WYSIWYG HTML Editor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ackbarr, Nov 20, 2002.

1. ackbarr

ackbarr Registered

When using the WYSIWYG HTML Editor within the filemanager, all image tags within the document are modified to reflect the path of the cpanel interface and will not load properly after editing the page. Has anyone else came across this problem, and how would I go about fixing it.

TIA

2. Infomatik

Infomatik Registered

I am also interested in any feedback regarding the WYSIWYG Editor.

3. Dave Owen

Dave Owen Registered

I also have this problem and would be keen for a solution.

4. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

I've just tested it and worked OK for me. Notice that the editor asks for an absolute URL for the image source (something starting with http://), not a relative URL.

5. Dave Owen

Dave Owen Registered

If the WYSIWYG editor will only work with absolute URLs, I would consider this a fairly serious limitation. Maybe a mod could be made which temporarily gives the page a base ref or something like that. Or perhaps an option to permanently insert a base ref. I'm new to cPanel so I have no idea how easy it is to modify, or even if modifications are a good idea.

General feedback about the WYSIWYG editor - shows promise but not quite as slick as others I've seen. Definitely a must-have though - if I can get it working my clients will love it.

6. Mindlash

Mindlash Well-Known Member

yes, I agree.. big problem with HTML editor re-writing image code..

help?

7. trakwebster

trakwebster Well-Known Member

I'm not very familiar with this editor, but before you give up on it, it would be a good idea to (a) give it the hard address it seems to be asking for, then (b) save the webpage, and then (c) load the webpage in your browser and then examine the source to determine whether the resulting code is written with absolute or relative addresses.

If relative addresses, it would seem better to me. But suppose it does use hard addresses. If you're just using it to edit specific simple projects, what would that matter?

8. trakwebster

Hi, Dave Owen,

I'd be curious to know: what other html WISIWYG editors have you seen? Some time back I searched, and somehow found none. I'd be grateful to find one that worked even halfway decently.

9. Mindlash

10. trakwebster

Seems about half useful ...

Hi, Mindlash,

The thing looks pretty, so I downloaded and installed it. It's pretty easy to modify the included demo.php file to provide html editing ...

However, as far as I can tell, there is no built-in provision to open an existing html page, nor to save the html you've edited up. Unless I'm *really* missing something, this doesn't see totally wonderful and useful, except perhaps embedded into something else.

Was your experience different?

11. Mindlash

Negative.

Since I'm not the coder, I didn't get any further than the demo page, which called itself during post...

So, you're correct, there is not current method for browsing directories, etc.. :-/

which BLOWS... however I'm sure some of the awsome coders here could integreate one or more open source projects to become an addon for cPanel

*wink*

The forums at sourceforge for this project are fairly lively... I just couldn't follow them, as they were well beyond my scope of understanding.

I just know it's clean, functioning, and I gotta have it! heh

Good luck.

.:. Mindlash

12. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

My problem is that it's my customers who use the editor to make simple fixes, only to find all relative links corrupted, and their users being asked for the cpanel userid and password whenever the page is loaded.

Then they blame me because I'm providing software that bugs up their page.

Sigh.

Bill

13. regx

regx Registered

Editor Suggestion

The image path is a prob, but so is the fact that any php code or cgi seems to get re-written.

One good solution is to use #BeginEditable tags to be compatible with Macromedia templates.

Then you can show the HTML output including PHP or CGI code, but when you write the file back to disk do not touch anything outside the begin editable regions.

Webedit uses this strategy and is a very nice file based wysiwyg editor. An open source solution I use for script based solutions editing HTML in Mysql is HTML Area they have a new version in beta HTML Area 3 that works well with IE, Mozilla and supposedly other browsers.

It would be really great to be able to use this to allow my clients to edit files. As is however I am using other alternatives. Keep up the good work.