The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-Source headers. What for?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by harikaram, Feb 25, 2009.

1. harikaram

harikaram Member

Hi,

In exim.pl, sub mailtrapheaders writes the X-AntiAbuse headers and some X-Source-* headers. What are the later ones for? I've noticed they are missing from emails sent from my server? Do they get stripped? Are they important or can they be removed?

Gratefully,
    HKS

2. acitrano

acitrano Registered

Yes, what for?

Can we kill these things? If so, how? I am convinced they work against the good guys, too. I've lately had my e-mails end up in people's spam folders (gMail) and am wondering if it's these headers.

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    The additional "X-Source" headers are optional and configurable via WHM at the following menu path:
    WHM: Main >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings >> Mail
    • "Track the origin of messages sent though the mail server by adding the X-Source headers (exim 4.34+ required)"

The additional headers are for informational purposes only. Please be aware it is best to keep them enabled so that when there is real Spam sent from your system then your Systems Administration team can have the added information available when attempting to investigate and track which account abused resources to send Spam. If the option is disabled that will make it increasingly difficult to investigate Spam issues; if Spam is repeatedly sent and recurs without stopping it will ultimately result in your server's being permanently blacklisted.

4. DomineauX

DomineauX Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This option is very helpful and I really cannot imagine any legitimate mail hosts flagging mails as spam for containing custom header lines like these.
    Every anti-virus/anti-spam system adds custom headers so if that was the case then most mails would be incorrectly placed in spam folders.

5. acitrano

acitrano Registered

I have this option unchecked - yet the headers are still being added. This has been the case for months. If any of you have other ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

6. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Please provide an example of the exact headers being seen; there are multiple different headers that could be added depending on your unique system configuration.