The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

x64 Support?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dragon2611, Apr 20, 2008.

1. dragon2611

dragon2611 Well-Known Member

What's the X64 support like in cpanel and it's dependencies these days?

I'm looking into getting a new server and I'm wandering if it's worth going down the x64 route for the OS so that I don't run into problems If I decide to goto 4Gb ram and beyond. ;)

2. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

We have been running 64 bit centos servers for a number of years now and are very happy with it .
    Initially we been forced into it , cause the dual core opterons only played ball with the 64bit OS and looking back at this I need to say it was a blessing is disguise :)

3. mm1250

mm1250 Well-Known Member

You don't need 64bit if you have more than 4GB ram in Linux. You can always install the PAE Kernal which allows upto 32GB RAM I think. I am running a server now with 8GB RAM CentOS 5.1 32bit and it actually automatically installed the PAE kernal for me and it shows 8GB RAM.

From what I heard even from the cPanel people here, that there are some issues with x64 and EasyApache. I don't know if they are fixed yet but it would be nice to see x64 fully working a there are some advantages to having it.