Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

x86_64 Supported Distributions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nyjimbo, Nov 23, 2005.

1. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Anybody here running x86_64 Supported Distributions of cpanel on 64 bit processors/Operating systems ?. Is there any real noticeable, measurable difference to this kind of configuration ?. I dont just mean the obvious improvement of the chip speed.

I am running Freebsd i386 stuff but want to go to a faster chip and was wondering if switching to the 64 bit Cpanel (running in the 64 bit OS) would really be a an improvement over just putting a faster chip and sticking with the regular OS and Cpanel ?.

Any problems in the X86_64 Cpanels that make it tough to maintain ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

Let me say this:

Whatever you do, keep yourself on a 32bit OS.

Cpanel flat out doesn't work on a 64bit OS. Today I was trying to get it work with 2 other techs on a RHE 4 box AMD64bit...

We working on the thing for like 2 hours trying to get /easyapache to compile. Nothing works, all the pre-made scripts are useless.

I can't believe that Cpanel would put flat - out - on - their - frontpage that this is supported.
    Today I lost faith in the DC that gave these pre-configured images to us along with Cpanel for telling customers we support it when it flat out doesn't work.

DO NOT UPGRADE TO 64 BIT PEOPLE -

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. flash7

flash7 Well-Known Member

No, do not upgrade to RHE 4 box ;)

The RHE 3 is the distribution supported by cPanel and Redhat Enterprise.

4. paint

paint Well-Known Member

Im running x86_64 with cPanel, but I wouldnt suggest it. So many compile issues you need to fix and many symlinks you need to make. Its really not worth it unless you have a lot of time and know linux pretty well.

5. coloroom

coloroom Registered

Would anyone care to say how to get cpanel working on a 64 bit machine?

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Not true. cPanel do support RHE4 and I've worked on servers running it without problems.

7. XJer

XJer Registered

We have it running on centos 4.2. everything seems to be fine excep php was broken on all of them. We have to put a ticket in for each of them to get it fixed. On the one I recompiled apache through cpanel and it broke it again :( Does anybody know a permanent fix or this? I beleive it has something to do with lib and lib64

8. paint

paint Well-Known Member

There is no one method. Each thing that breaks has its own fix to get working correctly.