Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

xfs and .unix-font

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dev_cw, Jan 27, 2007.

1. dev_cw

dev_cw Well-Known Member

Hello,

After my last cpanel update (cPanel 10.9.0-C131) I noticed that xfs is now active and the .unix-font dir was created in the /tmp. From what I can tell xfs is a serving fonts (???) and it uses .unix-font so they are related. Can I turn off xfs and remove the .unix-font dir? I also noticed that xfs is running as user xfs.

How do I get rid of xfs. I have killed it but I don't want it to return after reboot.

Thanks,
    Shane

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You must have had OS packages updated to have XFS start up - it's nothing to do with cPanel. XFS is the X Font Server. To stop it properly:

service xfs stop
    chkconfig xfs off
    chkconfig xfs --del

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dev_cw

dev_cw Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

However I am pretty sure the .unix-font dir showed up after my last cpanel update, the time stamp on the .unix-font dir reflects the time of the last update. xfs may have been active previously and gone unnoticed but not the .unix-font dir in /tmp/.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It's your OS update procedure which upcp runs overnight that will have done that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dev_cw

dev_cw Well-Known Member

OK, now I understand...need to kick start the brain sometimes :)

Os update triggered by upcp installed xfs+.unix-font. Thanks for clearing that up.