The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XSKIN **Bert**

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by XPerties, Jun 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XPerties

XPerties Well-Known Member

Good day bert. I would only ask for a reply from bert but I know that jackass kid will respond so there is no point.

Anyways, bert I beleive you said something about starting the new xskin end of last week. Any word on what the current statis is on everything?

Thanks for replying!

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. bert

bert Well-Known Member

Well, I guess I'm lucky that Mr. Josey didn't show up as of yet ;)

The X SKINS will be released again very soon. We are estimating about one more week. Unfortunately at this point in time, I cannot give you any more information. There is a lot happening behind the scenes and you guys will know it all when the time comes :)

3. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

Bert, ignoring the 2 questions asked in another thread about the copyright of the icons won't make the problem go away... ;)

4. bert

bert Well-Known Member

Do you want to become another Joey? What's your problem dude? I already explained the deal with the icons and even if I didn't, I don't have to give you or anyone else explanations concerning what I do. As you know, the X SKINS have been free all along, so I have absolutely nothing to be concerned about. In addition, you can rest assured that if I ever sell the X SKINS, the icons will be fully licensed.

5. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward on the XSkin :).

6. goodmove

Calm down... I have no idea who the hell Joey is and I have no problems with you...

You still haven't answered why you haven't put a link back to the author's site in the copyright statement that appears in both the WHM and Cpanel xskins up to version 2.0, when you were required to do so as part of the conditions to use Paul Boyer's icons free-of-charge?

I am sure you are aware that this question currently affects everyone who uses your skins in terms of your copyright obligations.

#6 goodmove, Jun 16, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2003
  7. bert

bert Well-Known Member

From Paul's website:
    --------------------------------------
    Any files (unless otherwise noted) downloaded from this sight may be used and distributed freely as long as files are not altered, and credit is given to Paul Boyer & Odyssey-3 Illustration.
    --------------------------------------

Does that say to you that you have to have a hyperlink?

Either your accusations are extreme or you just have something against us or in favor of Joey?

It is obvious that Paul Boyer is not associated with me in any way, he is a widely known individual. This can be proven by just doing a search and seeing him all over.

Just go pick someone else please. I am not willing to discuss these things with you any further.

8. goodmove

Nope, not so easy... ;)

In your quote you omitted (with what intention?) the hyperlink that appears for Paul Boyer & Odyssey-3 Illustration in that paragraph at Paul's website!

That's why I believe that by not displaying the full credit (you only have "Icons by Paul Boyer" on your skins) and by not linking back to the authors' site as required by him as a condition of using his icons free-of-charge, you have infringed the author's copyright.

>> It is obvious that Paul Boyer is not associated with me in any way, he is a widely known individual.

That's irrelevant... And I doubt if everyone using your skins would actually know who Paul Boyer is! And all the more, if you think he's so famous, why would you worry about providing the full credit and the hyperlink in your copyright statements.

Here's my theory as to why you infringed the author's copyright on 2 counts (as clearly laid out in this post):

You wanted to appear to be associated with the illustrator from a marketing point of view... That would eventually mean your skin would have more credibility... as the icons must surely be a large part of the reason why your skins have been so popular.

Placing the full credit (including the author's business name) and the link back to his site would not have given the same impression to your customers.

#8 goodmove, Jun 16, 2003
  9. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hey goodmove - Why don't you piss off and take your shit else where. I for one am sick of your posts that have nothing to do with the cPanel software. If you have a beef with Bert or anyone else take it elsewhere.

Oh and P.S. Don't bother responding as I am not about to respond back.

10. goodmove

:D dgbaker, I appreciate your compliments!

bert has been complaining about his copyright for the xskins being compromised in some other thread and how he wished to protect it with some kind of encryption... right? He put that theory forward while he himself has been infringing the copy rights of the illustrator whose work has greatly contributed to his skin's popularity...

My point is, had the icons been his or his company's output OR had he fully complied with the author's explicit conditions for using the icons, he should have had every right to complain about his own copyright!

>> I for one am sick of your posts...

My intention was not to make you or anyone else sick... I have simply documented the facts. :eek:

>> ...that have nothing to do with the cPanel software.

This thread is about Xskin, right?

#10 goodmove, Jun 16, 2003
  11. JackHandy

JackHandy Member

Bert, I love your XSkin and so do my hosting clients. It makes that extensive WHM menu readable! If you see my message could you e-mail me a link to get the new version? I still have v1.7 and I heard you have a new one.

:rolleyes: jackhandy@slightlybored.com

12. bert

bert Well-Known Member

goodmove,

Again, you don't even have a clue if we have either given Paul Boyer a large donation or if we paid him the $25.00 per icon and still show his name out of appreciation. Furthermore, if users like you cared about their own business, we wouldn't have so many crappy hosting companies out there.

Please stop bothering honest and hard working people like myself and go find something productive to do. You don't like the X SKINS or you still think we infringed on copyright laws, then simply don't use it. There is a nice feature within WHM that allows you to change your skins.

It wouldn't hurt either if you could show your identity by entering your real name and website on your profile. If you are brave enough to take it on people like me by picking on things you have no knowledge off, then you should be brave enough to let people know who you are and what company you operate.

13. goodmove

Don't worry, I can find out... However, recalling your explanations in your various posts on here (including on this thread) the omens that you have done either of those at the right time are not too good... (I have no intention to go over your posts ATM)

----
    Here's my offer: Let me know via PM (or tell us on this thread publicly) the EXACT DATE that you made that donation (or payment) to the author... I will have it verified and if it is right and coincides with the date when you first started using the icons in your skins, you WON! I will then come back here and correct myself and even apologise for my presumption... :)
    ----

>> Furthermore, if users like you cared about their own business, we wouldn't have so many crappy hosting companies out there.

That's kinda a deragotary statement directed at small hosting businesses (smaller than you, that is) and resellers - who will probably be purchasing your skin soon!

#13 goodmove, Jun 16, 2003
  14. joey222

joey222 BANNED

15. joey222

joey222 BANNED

16. joey222

joey222 BANNED

seeya :eek:

17. goodmove

Now I can see why bert and joey don't much like each other! :)

18. spiraltechnics

spiraltechnics Active Member

Oh my head. What the hell is going on with these forums. Has Cpanel started marketing in elementary schools? Where are these little kids coming from. I am so sick of all this.

Why does everyone have to worry about everyone elses business? Goodmove, what are you a share holder of Xskins? Why is it a big deal to you. I can understand pointing it out to him, but when his says he has a lisense to do so. The only thing you have left to do is whine to the author(Paul Boyer). He will be held responsible not you. Besides again I state that Bert doesn't seem the type to risk getting sued for anything over such a small product.

You people need to lean some respect! I know when your twelve, it is fun to be the bully and try to harrass everyone for their lunch money. Just remember there are people that have been coming here for years, and have earned respect from everyone. Don't think that your invalid, senseless points and false aligations is gonna hold over to the rest of us. In the end all your gonna do is piss people off, which is and has been your primary goal. So congrads, now you have the luxury of being hated. Must be a good feeling knowing even more people in the world think you are dumb witted. Regardless of what you do Cpanel will still go on, these forums will survive, and our hosting companies will still succeed. So Joey, Goodmove, other kids. There is nothing you can do about it, Swallow that.

Those that are hated today, are only to be forgotten tommorow.

19. bert

bert Well-Known Member

Not true, the only derogatory statements in these forums are made by you. I have provided YOU and the rest of the cPanel community with a nice, regularly updated skin and just because I got pissed as a result of a few users pirating my stuff now you are launching a copyright investigation? Not only that, you are questioning our integrity and demanding that we should "proof"?

This will be my last post here. Just want a couple of weeks or so, by then, both you and joey will have the surprise of your lifetime ;)

#19 bert, Jun 17, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2003
  20. dnsprotocol

dnsprotocol Registered

Joey who??? Already forgot. It's a girl right? LMAO... get a life.

I support Bert :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.