The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xxxx.com-ssl_data_log Huge; Never Rotated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vicos, Feb 18, 2012.

1. vicos

vicos Well-Known Member

Hi,

get a message today that /usr has gone over 80% full

I found a huge log file that has never been rotated since the server was implemented in 2008

/usr/local/apache/domlogs/xxxx.com-ssl_data_log where xxxx is the particular domain in question.

1) Should this have been truncated/rotated/compressed by the system? If not is there a WHM setting to do so.

2) As a last resort, can I simply delete this log file? I assume apache will recreate it when needed? Do I need to stop apache before deleting it?

2. vicos

vicos Well-Known Member

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, this log file should be included in the Apache domlog rotation, assuming you have the following option enabled via "WHM >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings":

"Delete each domain’s access logs after stats run"

Feel free to submit a ticket with our staff so we can check for any specific reason it's not getting deleted after the statistics generation:

Submit A Ticket

Or, if you want to remove it manually, you could empty it via a command such as:

Code:
    # echo "" > /usr/local/apache/domlogs/xxxx.com-ssl_data_log
    That is an outdated bug report. There are no outstanding issues with log rotation that I am aware of at this time.

Thank you.

4. vicos

vicos Well-Known Member

Thanks Michael, I will submit a ticket. BTW, the data in the log file are error messages, it is not access log data--SSL is not even enabled for this domain.