xxxx.com-ssl_data_log Huge; Never Rotated

vicos

Apr 18, 2003
Hi,

get a message today that /usr has gone over 80% full

I found a huge log file that has never been rotated since the server was implemented in 2008

/usr/local/apache/domlogs/xxxx.com-ssl_data_log where xxxx is the particular domain in question.

1) Should this have been truncated/rotated/compressed by the system? If not is there a WHM setting to do so.

2) As a last resort, can I simply delete this log file? I assume apache will recreate it when needed? Do I need to stop apache before deleting it?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Yes, this log file should be included in the Apache domlog rotation, assuming you have the following option enabled via "WHM >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings":

"Delete each domain’s access logs after stats run"

Feel free to submit a ticket with our staff so we can check for any specific reason it's not getting deleted after the statistics generation:

Submit A Ticket

Or, if you want to remove it manually, you could empty it via a command such as:

Code:
# echo "" > /usr/local/apache/domlogs/xxxx.com-ssl_data_log
Apparently this was identified back in 2005
That is an outdated bug report. There are no outstanding issues with log rotation that I am aware of at this time.

Thank you.

vicos

Apr 18, 2003
Thanks Michael, I will submit a ticket. BTW, the data in the log file are error messages, it is not access log data--SSL is not even enabled for this domain.