The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yabb forum [moved]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dianadolce, May 27, 2006.

1. dianadolce

dianadolce Registered

Can someone give better instruction on what to do after you install Yabb Bulliten Board. Info from the Yabbforum.com does not work. Any suggestions or step by step help with this would bring smile back to my face.

Thank you,

2. tweakservers

tweakservers Well-Known Member

what kind of issue that you are having with the Yabb forum you install on your cpanel?

3. dianadolce

dianadolce Registered

Cpanel install installs Yabb in it's own folder with it's own cgi-bin. So I put the files necessary into the yabb cgi-bin and try to see it, and nothing comes up. My error log says it can't find the file. Next I put the whole Yabb file into my cgi-bin and still get the can't find the file error. Next set the chmod permissions to the what is listed on the yabb setup and I get the error that files are writeable and access denied (this is from memory and could be stated wrong).

All I can see is that I need the yabb.pl file and the adminindex.pl file to run this. Is there something else I need, or is there special chmod setting for use with cpanel? Yabb support for setup also talks about the setup.pl file. With the cpanel install this file is setup.lock so it is useless.

Must admit I am not savvy with any of this, but I have been able to figure things out. This one is really testing me. Just wish that cpanel would have more info on this then sending us to the Yabb site that can't help me either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Diana

#3 dianadolce, May 28, 2006
    Last edited: May 28, 2006
  4. pilot51198

pilot51198 Member

I have something very simular to YABB which is called UBB Classic. I have installed enough of the UBB Classic forums to know the permissions needed for the boards to work right. Usually Yabb is the same as UBB or UBI .

The cgi-bin directory should globally be '755' for the permissions
    Any files that belong to Yabb that are non-cgi types such as images, forums directorys and so on like the 'cache' directories need to be most likely '755' globally for the entire directory and sub-directories.

This has worked very well in UBB Classic which has both a cgi-bin use and non-cgi directory to whatever you name the non-cgi directory.

Example: http://widenationhost.com/forums/index.php it works very well. I did install a Yabb using those same permissions for both types of files. Make sure, however your files that are titled 'vars_filenameshere.cgi" (example;) in your cgi-bin and the permissions for these set indivually to '777'

I have UBB Classic for my clients only. We removed Yabb off my network because UBB Classic is superior to it.

Anyway, hope you try this and hope it works out for you!

Keep posted.

5. jabbjabb

jabbjabb Registered

Hi,
    since I don't have cPanel on the webhost where I installed YaBB I did it manually. There was a very good install help file with the distribution I downloaded from http://www.yabbforum.com/downloads.php - please get this, unpack and read it and FOLLOW step by step.

If you pay attention to the CHMOD's you will be fine.

HTH

P.S. In case of trouble - there's a support forum at the YaBB site too....

As for the original post - yes... I would have expected that cPanel does the "complete job"...