rpvw

Jul 18, 2013
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Either you have installed a new kernel, which will require a reboot to use.

OR

You have installed an upgrade or update to a service(s) that now requires restarting:

You can find out any services with outdated binaries by using
Code:
/usr/bin/needs-restarting
in a terminal, and all the resart commands are detailed in WHM Scripts - Version 74 Documentation - cPanel Documentation in the restartsrv_* section, with additional information in How to Restart Services - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

If you have a lot of services that need restarting, it is often easier to reboot the server than to try and deal with them one at a time

Hope this helps

CanadaGuy

Sep 24, 2018
Ottawa
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hmm, that's helpful, thanks! For newbs like me, it would be helpful if they provided a "More Info" link or something to that effect. I restarted without checking that since I'm using this as a learning server, so I'm not worried about downtime.

I did see somewhere (I don't remember where) about "unknown kernel" and after some searching, attributed it to the KernelCare symlink patch...

rpvw

Jul 18, 2013
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
If you install and boot into a new kernel as soon as it is released, you may have to wait for Cloudlinux to 'catch up' with releasing their KernelCare symlink patch for that kernel.

Until they release it, you may get emails every 4 hours (the default time between KernelCare updates) about unknown kernels.

Reactions: cPanelLauren

CanadaGuy

Sep 24, 2018
Ottawa
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
If you install and boot into a new kernel as soon as it is released, you may have to wait for Cloudlinux to 'catch up' with releasing their KernelCare symlink patch for that kernel.

Until they release it, you may get emails every 4 hours (the default time between KernelCare updates) about unknown kernels.
Thanks, that's helpful and points me in the right direction to learn more. Thanks for not newbing me out the door!

Reactions: cPanelLauren