The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet-Another DNS Question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by kenwang, Jan 23, 2011.

1. kenwang

kenwang Registered

Jan 23, 2011

I searched and browsed through some of the latest topics and couldn't find an answer to this. So please bear with me.

I am transferring/migrating a cPanel account to another server (also running cPanel). So typically, we can manually modify the DNS zone on the old server so that requests get redirected to the new server during the transition. Also, we could change the nameserver (of the domain) to the new pair, and let it propagate before removing the account from the old server. (And thus, achieving minimal or zero downtime in between yeah?)

My question is, I've been told by my hosting provider that the new server uses the "same pair of nameserver" as the old server. So, since I don't have to switch nameserver (for the domain), I can proceed to delete the old account from WHM right? But the moment I did this, the site went down after an hour or so (DNS timeout).

This confuses me because how would the DNS records on the new server take precedence this way? Wouldn't there be a DNS conflict if they shared the same nameserver? Worse still, wouldn't that be an easy setup for DNS hijacking?

I know this may sound silly, but this is the first time I am dealing with a setup like this. Much appreciated if anyone can advise me out there.

2. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2008
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

Both servers will have their DNS configured on a clustered pair using "WHM >> Cluster/Remote Access > Configure Cluster" which is common in hosting providers. If any server makes a change to the zone, that will show up in the clustered name servers which were provided to you by your host. Which ever server makes the last change to the zone, will have the precedence.
    When you moved an account to the new server, the new server created the zone thus updating the IP to the new server in the clustered pair. Once you terminated the account, the default step by cPanel was to kill its zone to avoid any traces and this removed the zone from the name server pair as well, thus taking the site down.
    There is a workaround to this problem in WHM "Account Functions >> Terminate an Account" that states the following.

You need to check this box before terminating an account on the source server after migration to any server using the same name server pair to ensure that the site does not go down after you remove the account from the old server.

Related Documentation: