The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet Another Newbie !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Picto, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Picto

Picto Registered

Sorry guys, im probably about to insult your collective intelligence but this is new to me ..

I have several domains registered with several different registrars and have just opened a dedicated server account with HeartInternet.

I have created accounts for these domains all sharing an IP, created ftp accounts and uploaded files so the site is viewable at http://xx.xx.xx.xx/~accountname

I logged into my diomain registrar account and pointed it to the nameservers listed by default in my Cpanel, naively thought it would take care of the rest on its own and left it to simmer overnight.... oops.

Obviously im missing something obvious here ?

Do i need to modify the zone file for each account in some way, or should i just continue using orig. registrar nameservers but modify zone files there to point to my shared IP ??

I'm a little confused as to whether the server will direct the domain to the correct account html folder on the shared IP.

I hope that made some sense and someone can stoop to help me.

Cheers in advance..

2. apscinsspl

apscinsspl Well-Known Member

Hello,

You just need to change the nameservers for the domain that you have created on the dedicated server and the domains will work from the servers once the dns propagation is done.

You do not need to change anything else.

3. Picto

Picto Registered

ok thanks, isn't it unusual to be taking so long ?

Been over 24hrs now, the registrar holding page displayed for a couple of hours after i made nameserver changes but since getting host not found error.

4. apscinsspl

apscinsspl Well-Known Member

are the nameservers you are trying to use registered ?

5. Picto

Picto Registered

starting to sound like that could be the issue .... :)

the nameserver details were just 'auto-generated' when zone files were ceated in the control panel and use convention ns1.[hostname].com etc

So is this basically a 'phantom' nameserver which doesnt actually exists ?

I assigned an IP to this 'phantom' nameserver via 'nameserver IP's' so thought that was it done. You see the size of my knowledge gap now ? :)

How do i go about registering the nameserver, and do have to repeat this process for every domain ?

I presumed the hosting companies main nameserver would just act as nameserver for all newly created accounts, didnt realise i would be setting this up myself.

Cheers

6. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Register your main nameservers at your registrar, who is your domain registrar?

Usually you just define ns1.yourdomain.com 192.168.0.1 of course replacing yourdomain.com with the actual domain and the IP with the actual IP you defined in cPanel.

Once define take all your other domains and use those name servers to point to.

#6 rhenderson, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  7. tametheweb

tametheweb Registered

As has been said, you may need to request that the domain registrar to assign glue records to your domain name. This will allocate your dns server ip addresses to you domain name.