The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yet another username max lenght

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by javelin, Dec 14, 2004.

1. javelin

javelin Member

not yet another username max lenght

ok, just so this doesnt sound too much like the 400 other questions on how to make longer usernames, this isnt..
    due to my research on cpanel before hand we have from day1 had max 25 character usernames
    thanks to the editing of the wwwacct trick,
    recently a customer has come forward wanting to setup their database, now their username is mynewdomaincom (example) so their mysql database is mynewdomaincom_newdb
    this has the small problem that the max characters of the users table is 16 characters, i have edited this up to 100, on top of that found a suggestion for the modification to the whostmgr2 file which i have also completed.
    the problem remains, a user can go in and create a database, but....
    1 it doesnt show up in myphpadmin
    2 doesnt show up under the sql change password for databases in the cpanel manager

so
    my question is .. has anyone gotten around this ? or has nobody encountered this so far (i doubt I could be the first)
    if i create the domain with a username of 8 or less characters all is fine

any ideas are very welcome...

ps this i think is something that cpanel should really address, even if its a option somewhere to set max username character lenght on install and default it to 8, there are very few distros out there these days that have a 8 character max...

regards Jav

#1 javelin, Dec 14, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  2. javelin

javelin Member

anyone anyone ?
    minty for the first person with the correct answer..

3. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    That is exactly why cPanel has left things at 8 char. for usernames, it wrecks havoc with sql.

4. javelin

javelin Member

It doesnt seem to be a problem with the database creation,
    the username and the database get created fine.
    its the linking between phpmysql and the database that seem to be at odds.. .

without changing the max characters in the users field (from 16) the database gets truncated, but still doesnt show up in phpmyadmin.

wonder if i need to compile phpmyadmin outside of cpanel for this to work ?...

jav

5. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

There is a specific reason that cPanel does not allow longer DB names, and this is it. We dont suggest nor afvise changing it. It can cause many issues and may be overwritten at a later date.