The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your advice needed: Addon domains or separate cPanel accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aclees86, Apr 1, 2013.

1. aclees86

aclees86 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hello all,

I'm involved in developing a custom CMS based website provider currently and require your advice on a key topic.

I've previously been told to steer clear of using Addon domains on this project due to resource allocation, but I've hit a few issues and I'm evaluating the entire site design at the moment and I've come back to the fundamental design.

The CMS is intended to be quite restrictive and only have a minimal number of options/inputs so it's a relatively simple system intended for very simple websites (a little more than a directory listing I guess). Traffic volume of each site is expected to be low. Target audience is somebody who barely knows how to use a computer, so the cPanel interface is completely out of the question for them and is currently designed to be automated in the background so they don't even know of its existence.

We're going to use either a powerful VPS, dedicated server or potentially cloud hosting and this site would be the only site we put on there ('this site' also including any addons that are purchased of course).

For me to redesign and use Addon domains would make so many elements of this project far simpler than it currently is, but I don't want to be making any mistakes. I appreciate that using WHM/cPanel has many advantages but off the top of my head I'm not sure we'd be making great use of many features it has to offer (it's not going to be possible for a user to upload 50gb of images for instance. Bandwidth might be the only consideration, which I can sort of control via an Addon anyway by restricting page-views).

Am I walking in to trouble by using Addons?

Any help posted is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance.

Antony

2. aclees86

aclees86 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Does anybody have any advice?

3. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would say that you should use addon domains only if is's only one user, or group of trusted users, accessing those sites.
    If you have many addon domains and many users, then if any of them gets shell access to the account that user has access to all addon domains.
    If the users are in separate cPanel accounts they can't access other accounts (not easily anyway if your server is well secured).