The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You've got a hacker! [moved]

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by baka-san, Jun 23, 2005.

1. baka-san

baka-san Registered

You've got a hacker!

Sadly, http://www.initial-lotus.com/ has been hacked. I was just wondering how long it will take to get a response to this e-mail I sent to the staff at cPanel?

Also, it IS possible to sue someone for hacking a webpage, right?

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

If the hacker has committed a criminal act in accordance with the laws for the country in which the server is hosted, you could probably commence criminal procedings. Of course you would first need to get evidence.

However, this would not be something that CPanel could do for you - any criminal procedings could only be initiated by either the owner of the server or (possibly) the data center in which the server resides.

3. baka-san

baka-san Registered

I see. If the owner of the server has indeed been hacked then all is lost, unless a fellow staff member of mine knows the hosting service we use. I guess I'll just have to sit back and wait for everything to unfold. My parents know a few lawyers that could probably help out, but again, never know.

EDIT: The evidence is in the site itself.

http://www.initial-lotus.com/

The main site has been hacked, and yet the forums have not?

http://72.9.251.74/~ilotus/forum/index.php

4. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How does this have anything to do with cpanel ?

If you want your site fixed you will need to restore it from backups and then secure the server and either update or remove the script that allowed the hacker to gain entry.

As far as bringing any legal action against whoever did this. Its doubtful that you will ever find out who did it and even if you did they are probably in a foreign country which will make any legal action difficult if not impossible.

Just restore from backups , secure the server and make sure the server stays secured and mark this as a valueable lession in how not to manage a server

#4 dave9000, Jun 23, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  5. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Its true that you might have evidence that the site was hacked, however what you would need it evidence as to who hacked the site. You couldn't commence criminial procedings unless you have someone to take action against.

However as Dave9000 said, trying to track down and prosecute the person responsible is probably a rather futile effort. The hacker probably gained access via an insecure script, in which case it is far far far far far more important to locate and secure the point of entry than trying to find the responsible party.

If you don't manage the server that hosts the hacked site, contact the host, ask them to restore your site from a backup (a backup made prior to the hack) and work with your host to find and secure the point of entry.

If you do manage the server, you can search these forums to find many useful tips on securing your server.

6. baka-san

baka-san Registered

Thank you everyone :) I'll do exactly that, then. ^_^

7. brentp

brentp Well-Known Member

Well, if he hacked your site thats your problem. And cPanel wont waste money suing someone on behalf of you.

Regards,
    Brent