The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yum update log

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by latpanel, Apr 10, 2005.

1. latpanel

latpanel Well-Known Member

Well just a question, yum write actions in /var/log/yum.log, does it?
    I notice that there isn't any update since october/2004, is this normal? I have a Fedora Core 1 (2.4.25).
    Thanks

2. StevenC

StevenC Well-Known Member

well there is no more updates for fedora core 1 (its support was dropped) so what would it be updating? :)

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

You mght want to take a look at www.fedoralegacy.org - they took over support for FC1 after offical support was dropped and they release updates if necessary.

In order to get Yum to update correctly you'd need to change yum.conf to get updates from the Fedora Legacy Project - its all explained on the website.

4. latpanel

I've just read the post
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=32775

Then if CPanel doesn't update the yum.conf to the new situation we must do ti :(
    But: does CPanel work with FC1 legacy updates?
    If anybody is using this update could he/she post here the yum config file?

I suppose we must change only url,s to download.fedoralegacy.org, is I on right?

Thanks

5. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Yes, as this concerns Yum updating your operating system, not updating Cpanel. Cpanel is independent of your operating system (to an extent) and Yum has never updated Cpanel.

Probably, but as FC1 is no longer supported by Fedora, it is may no longer fully supported by Cpanel. As Cpanel evolves it would not be feasible to make it backward compatible with all previously supported operating systems, in the same way that you would find that programs that run under Windows XP would not work on Windows 95 due to them requiring features present in Windows XP.

Cpanel probably works fine with FC1 now, but I somehow doubt it would work with FC1 in 10 years time, in the same way that MS Office 2003 is not keen on Windows 95, and so there would be a point in time when Cpanel no longer works properly with FC1.

Just compare your current yum.conf with that listed on the relevant page of www.fedoralegacy.org and change the URLs accordingly. Make sure you keep a copy of your original yum.conf first in case you make any mistakes.

Have you considered upgrading from FC1 to at least FC2 if not something else?

6. latpanel

Of course I've considered upgrading to FC2, but if all works with updates, I prefer use updates. I feel a little panic :eek: when I think that upgrade can fail, perhaps I'm a litle catastrophic :( . I like the first rule in computer science:
    if something works fine, don't touch it!!!

But I've sent a posted asking for the way to upgrade from FC1 to FC2, because the only post I've found about this is too old (2004, the first quarter), and the author said that we had to do some jobs before make the yum upgrade. I don't know if today it's enough to make a yum upgrade or I must do any else. :confused:

I want upgrade OS, but I want cPanel keep working!

thanks

7. roboboer

roboboer Registered

I fix it - here is the lines of yum.conf

I went to
    http://www.fedoralegacy.org/docs/yum-fc1.php

for fedore core 1

and then i edit the page

# See the yum.conf(5) man page for information the syntax of this file,
    # including failover setup.

[main]
    cachedir=/var/cache/yum
    debuglevel=2
    logfile=/var/log/yum.log
    pkgpolicy=newest
    distroverpkg=redhat-release
    tolerant=1
    exactarch=1
    exclude=kernel*

[base]
    name=Fedora Core $releasever - Base
    baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/$releasever/os/$basearch

[updates]
    name=Fedora Core $releasever updates
    baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/$releasever/updates/$basearch

[legacy-utils]
    name=Fedora Legacy utilities for Fedora Core $releasever
    baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/$releasever/legacy-utils/$basearch

and that is that.
    Then i run the latest command to install cpanel

8. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Perhaps you should have thought of this before you decided to use a non stable, testing grounds Operating System. If you weren't prepared at the time to migrate users to a new box, core or other OS, perhaps you need to re-think your OS of choice. There are other options out there. If you want to stick with the redhat feel but want free, try CentOS.org. It works just as well, if not better than fedora with cpanel and has a 5 - 7 years product lifecycle, as compared to Fedora's 6 month lifecycle.

Honestly, I just see this as the first of the $hit hitting the fan. A lot of people will soon be panicing, and smacking themselves for using Fedora on ( especially remote ) servers.

The best thing to do to upgrade, is to use the CD as anaconda will take care of just about everything other than leaving a mess of old packages, which is easy enough to clean up. Upgrading via yum, because of the drastic changes, is not a good idea, and will 1. waste more time than installing / upgrading to a new OS 2. Will cause problems, and most likely not work ( at least right off the bat.. and then further down the road )

9. latpanel

Centos

I've found that CentOs is an alternative RedHat EL, an RHEL without copyrightrd material. Ok. But I can't found where it is said that its lifecycle is 7 years or so. I have seen three versions of CentOs.

But the question is that evey OS need to be updated continuously, and kernel patched and so I'd like anybody post here his experience about FC1 -> FC2 update in a cPanel box. Just this.

Thanks

10. latpanel

I supose you mean that you edited yum.conf and made a yum update after did it. Or after editing yum.conf did you update cPanel?

Thanks

11. ghv

ghv Well-Known Member

It seems that whem fedora core 1 -> fedora core 2 is mentioned all that comes up
    is reasons not to use fedora.

There are many reasons someone might find himself needing to do some work
    on a box and not having any choice in regard to what the OS is. I have no trouble running
    my own servers, but when something comes up that I have never done I like to do a bit
    of research. I have been asked to do this by someone "when I have a minute" and I will
    if and when I feel I can do it with minimal problems.

So... even though fedora is a bad choice for a production server (and could even be the
    spawn of satan) and has a very short lifespan - if anyone has any direct experience upgrading fedora core 1 -> fedora core 2 some of us would be very interested in hearing about it if you have the time to give us a few pointers.

Thanks

12. StevenC

StevenC Well-Known Member

Ive done many migrations. I have found its easier to install the xorg rpms + dependencys before running yum upgrade