Zend Guard for PHP 5.4 released

Trane Francks

Jun 19, 2012
Machida, Tokyo, Japan
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey, all.

I noticed a few days back that Zend has finally gotten around to releasing Zend Guard 6 for PHP 5.4. Which means, of course, that those of us with clients running Zend Guard code have forced us to sit on PHP 5.3 pending the release of new loaders. Those loaders are now out in the wild. So, the question is: What's the time frame for including the new Zend Guard loader in the PHP 5.4 configuration for EasyApache?

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello :)

Zend Guard 6 (includes support for PHP 5.4) is tentatively scheduled for inclusion with a future build of EasyApache version 3.18. There is currently no specific time frame available for release, as internal testing is required before releasing new EasyApache builds to the public. You can monitor the EasyApache change log at:

EasyApache Change Log

Thank you.

ScottTh

Jan 28, 2013
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi Trane Franks,

The EasyApache team has scheduled to begin work on Zend Guard 6 in the very near future. We'll keep you updated here on the forums when it has been released!

Thanks for your questions and please let us know if you have any additional feature requests by visiting the cPanel Feature Request Site: cPanel Feature Requests

ScottTh

Jan 28, 2013
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks, Scott. My primary concern is being able to move off of PHP 5.3.x before it reaches official EOL (March 2014, if I recall correctly).
Hi again,

EasyApache 3.20.2 released yesterday and included is, 5.3.27 EasyApache ChangeLog. PHP 5.3 has been marked End of Life. The EasyApache team has designated 5.4 as the default PHP version.

We will continue to provide security updates for the 5.3 series as they are released by PHP, but regular releases will no longer be done by PHP for the 5.3 series.

Here is the official statement from PHP about the 5.3 series: PHP 5.3.27 Released - PHP 5.3 Reaching End of Life

Trane Francks

Jun 19, 2012
Machida, Tokyo, Japan
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi, Scott.

Thanks. I follow the changes closely and am already running 5.3.27. As it has already reached deprecated state, I'm concerned. cPanel has a very poor track record of implementing fixes in that state. PHP 5.2.9 displays proudly in the WHM interface; meanwhile, that tree itself didn't EoL until 5.2.17. You guys failed to implement a lot of fixes that a lot of servers needed.

So, that explains my anxiety. Thanks to Zend taking more than a year after 5.4 released before it decided to update Zend Guard, we operators are now seriously behind the 8-ball. The longer cPanel/WHM takes to implement Zend in 5.4, the more vulnerable my servers become.

ScottTh

Jan 28, 2013
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

Hi, Scott.
The longer cPanel/WHM takes to implement Zend in 5.4, the more vulnerable my servers become.
I'm happy to announce that the EasyApache team started the work to implement Zend Guard 6 yesterday! We'll keep you updated on our progress and when Zend Guard 6 is released for EasyApache and PHP 5.4.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Trane Francks

Jun 19, 2012
Machida, Tokyo, Japan
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
PHP 5.2.9 displays proudly in the WHM interface; meanwhile, that tree itself didn't EoL until 5.2.17. You guys failed to implement a lot of fixes that a lot of servers needed.
Interestingly, I see that 5.2.17 has finally found its way into WHM. Funny how that works. :p

5.2.9 END OF LIFE
5.2.17 END OF LIFE
At least that gives servers forever stuck with Zend Optimizer a reasonable -- if untimely -- upgrade path. Better late than never.