Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Zone Files - IP Address - NAT - Zone files not using public address

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by metula, Jan 20, 2005.

1. metula

metula Member

Hi there,

I 've seen similar questions asked for some time but never really saw an answer to this question.

I have, naturally, my web server behind a firewall and use NAT. Unfortunately, when I create a new account, it creates a zone file but places the local network (192.168.0.x) IP in the A record rather than the public IP. I understand that there is no way for the server to know my public IP address but surely it would be an easy thing to put a "Virtual IP" configuration in the wwwacct config file along with the IP. Then, in the zone file we could put %vip% in the template and it would use the public IP...

OR.. is there a better way to do this? Also, what is the point of the localhost.example.com entry in the zone file?

Other than that, CPanel looks excellent and I imagine we'll be buying it pretty soon!

(I'll open a ticket with this question if possible)

M.